Apprenticeships – Get In. Go Far with Devon County Council
If you can’t wait for your career to start, and you have the motivation to work hard, gain nationally recognised qualifications and practical skills, while also earning a salary, our two-year apprenticeship programmes could be just right for you.
We run a number of really interesting apprenticeships for the right candidates. At the end of the programme we want to help you to combine your skills and qualifications to apply for permanent employment here.
Opportunities are advertised throughout the summer; register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on Twitter @DCCApprentices to keep up to date with all the latest news and events.
Changes coming soon
The government has reformed how apprenticeships work in the UK. This has meant that we have had to review our apprenticeship training schemes. The aim is to build on the successful arrangements already in place and to ensure that apprenticeship training becomes an integral part of our resourcing and development strategy.
The outcome of that review will see the development of two exciting new apprenticeship programmes:
Step In Programme
The Step In Programme builds on our current schemes and aims to provide a route into employment for those who are just starting out in their careers or trying to get back into work. It gives employees a solid grounding in the world of work and the chance to learn fundamental business-related skills which will put them in good stead for the future. Step In will be available from summer 2017 onwards. The key components of Step In are:
- Employees complete business admin/customer service apprenticeship qualifications.
- As well as support from the line manager and team, each individual employee on the programme will be part of a wider apprentice peer support group, facilitated by HR.
- Opportunities for the employee to undertake in-house training (courses or eLearning), in addition to their apprenticeship qualification, to further improve their skills and employability.
- There are no guarantees of employment at the end of the Step In Programme, but we would expect the apprentice to progress on to further employment, ideally within the Council or within the wider Devon economy.
Next Steps Programme
The Next Steps Programme aims to provide a development route for those that are already employed by the Council or are new to the organisation but are looking to make the next step in their career. The programme will provide services with a clear pathway through which they can utilise apprenticeship qualification training to support workforce development within specific occupations related to a service’s needs. The key components of Next Steps are:
- Aligned to services/roles/professions.
- Available to new and existing staff, subject to meeting particular criteria relating to apprenticeship qualifications, including the need to demonstrate that the employee will benefit from significant new learning as a result of undertaking the apprenticeship qualification and will spend at least 20% of their working time on that training.
- Mapped against relevant apprenticeship frameworks and standards.
The availability of Next Steps programmes will be dependent upon the needs of individual services and the national availability of relevant apprenticeship qualifications. At the moment not all occupations are covered by frameworks or standards but more are being developed.
Find out why these people love their Devon apprenticeships:
2016 Graduation Ceremony
Find out more about the recent Graduation Ceremony.
2016 Volunteer Challenge
Find out more about the great work carried out by our apprentices for the 2016 volunteer challenge.