OU social work traineeship

Please use the tabs below to learn about Open University social work courses that are available including the application process.

Also see our Frequently Asked Questions 


Open University social work degree

The Open University logo

Offering a BA Hons in Social Work or a Post Graduate Diploma and MA in Social Work. (Please note this is only for those already employed by Devon County Council on a permanent contact working in childrens social care).

Please note that Applications for 2018 are now closed we normally advertise end March/April.

Previous – 2018 Traineeship Information for Devon County Council Employees

Information Handbooks and Resources

Interview process


We usually advertise around April and closing date for applications are in May.  If you are successful and invited to attend our assessment centre this takes place in June. .

The following criteria are essential requirements
* have current or previous work experience in social care
* demonstrate motivation and enthusiasm for social work training
* you must be committed to work in frontline social work and to completing the ASYE programme on  completion of your qualification
* meet the entry requirements of the Open University Social Work Degree Program
(you will need to present original copies of your qualifications at interview)
* have shown an interest in social work as a career through your supervision/appraisal process
* have the support of your Line Manager and Area/Operations Manager as you will remain in
* your substantive post during the course of the degree with no backfill
* be committed to remain working for Devon County Council in Children’s Social Care for at least two years post-qualifying


Entry Requirements

2018/2019 application forms


Below are examples of the 2018  OU applications.

BA Application Form

PG Dip and MA Application Form

BA Declaration Form

PG Dip Declaration Form

Equal Opportunities From (BA and PG Dip)

The OU require your employer to apply for an ‘Enhanced DBS with list’ check if you don’t already hold a CRB or DBS check against all parts of the register (children’s and adults) which will be dated within a year of you starting your studies. This is arranged by yourself through your teams.

We also undertake a medical check.