Devon County Council has a long standing commitment to the provision of social work student placements and work in partnership with university programme providers. We see this as an essential part of our commitment to developing professionals and an element of our approach to recruitment and retention for our social work workforce of the future.
We will provide first assessed placements in the early help areas of our service. Final stage assessed placements will be provided in children and family teams.
We provide a traineeship scheme to support our staff to gain a social work qualification. Currently, this approach links to the Open University programme.
We will support 10 employees on their social work training each year.
Step Up to social work and be the difference
Social work is a challenging but rewarding career through which you can make a real difference for children and families. You will need to build relationships with families facing difficult times, show a lot of patience and be a good listener. You’ll also need good observational skills, analytical thinking and sound judgement to make the right decisions and protect children. Social work regularly tests resilience, stamina and resolve – all of which you will need to succeed. But social work can be life changing for those you support and help.
Through our successful Step Up to Social Work training programme you’ll get intensive, hands-on experience of working in a real-life social work role. On completion, you will obtain a Diploma in Social Work, allowing you to register and practice as a social worker. We can train you in 14 months, with all your course fees paid, and you’ll also receive a bursary for the duration of the course.
We’re looking for strong graduates who have experience of working with children, young people and families and who can demonstrate their maturity and emotional resilience.
Do you have what it takes?
You are eligible if you can demonstrate you already have:
- A minimum 2:1 level 6 degree qualification.
- Or, a minimum 2:2 honours degree plus a higher degree (level 7 or above).
- Grade C or above GSCE in English/ English Language and Maths (or recognised equivalent).
- Experience of working with children, young people and families.For more information visit:Online applications open 28 March and close 5 May 2017
- Step Up to Social Work: information for applicants
We currently provide practice placements to the following programmes
- The Open University: This programme is linked to our trainee scheme.
- The University of Plymouth BA and MA placements: we provide a number of placements to the MA and BA social work programmes delivered at the University of Plymouth. In this, practice educator support and assessment is provided by our team of practice educators.
- Statutory Observations and Shadowing opportunities for BA and MA students from the University of Plymouth
- Over the years we have also provided placements for other universities across the UK and if you would like to discuss arranging a placement with us, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice Placement Workshops
Each year we work with our colleagues from Adult social work and organise practice placement workshops intended for the Open University students.
Student progression route through our faculties: