This page contains key information to support you in your learning journey with Children’s Social Care in Devon.
- What are the services learning expectations? A strong commitment to learning and development from staff, managers and the service is central to achieving the highest standards of practice across the organisation. To support this commitment Children’s Social Care has created a set of expectations – Statement of Expectations
- How do I book on a course?
We use the council’s online booking system DEL . This is the same website that hosts the council’s e-learning packages e.g. data protection, equality and diversity.
To review the availability of courses provided by the Academy search in the category ‘Social Care / Children, Families & Young People’ follow this link, enter your log in and you will be taken to the course category.
You can also see a calendar view of upcoming Academy Activity on our resource pages – see here
To review the availability of courses provided by Devon Children and Families Partnership search DEL in the category ‘Safeguarding – Children’ follow this link enter your log in and you will be taken to the course category.
DEL is supported by a fully staffed helpdesk which is open from 8.00 am – 8.00 pm Monday to Friday and 9.00 am – 5.30 pm on Saturday and Sunday. For all booking enquiries call 0845 0744 114
Please note that permanent DCC staff will be prioritised for courses that are part of the Academy provision. Students on a placement with Devon will only be able to access the training if places become available (i.e. online bookings might be rejected, with the candidate being placed on the waiting list and notified if a place becomes available).
- What courses are available?
- What if I can’t attend that date or the course is full?
There are 2 waiting list options in DEL:
1. You can put yourself on the waiting list for a full course for that specific date/ venue. If a place becomes available you will automatically be added.
2. If you can’t do any of the available course dates or all courses are full you can put your name on the waiting list for the course, rather than 1 specific date.
- What if I can no longer attend a course?
On average a third of people on our courses do not attend. This represents a significant loss to the service and to the children and families we support. Cancellation Policy
See other learning opportunities below
- Academy Sharepoint Site
- Research In Practice (RIP)
- Devon Children and Families Partnership
- NHS OpenAthens
- Local University Library Facilites
- Academy Sharepoint SiteResearch In Practice (RIP)
The Academy Sharepoint Site has a number of internal learning resources available to staff on this site.Devon Children and Families PartnershipNSPCC
Devon Children and Families Partnership (formally the DSCB). The partnership offer a wealth of learning resources as well as essential face to face learning opportunities to support you in your role visit here and look under the ‘Training’ and ‘Workers’ tab for full details. All courses provided by The Partnership are free of charge to staff in Children’s Social Care.NHS OpenAthens
NSPCC knowledge and information service have an excellent free knowledge and information service to support you in keeping up to date and ensure your practice is evidence informed.
Their team of information professionals:
•find the answers to your questions by searching databases, compiling reading lists and talking to our experts
•write factsheets, briefings and summaries of research, case reviews, statistics, resources, legislation and guidance
•send out email alerts to keep you up-to-date with the latest evidence, policy, research and practice resources on child protection and related subjects.
To sign up to their email alerts visit Information ServiceLocal University Library Facilites
An NHS OpenAthens account allows you to access a range of quality information online. Users can access a number of key databases including:
– NICE Evidence Journals and Databases
– Wiley Online Library – Child Abuse Review, Child & Family Social Work.
Whilst this is a service run by the NHS its focus is on health and social care.
You are able to register for access using your @devon.gov.uk email address. Follow this link for more information NHS Open Athens
Members of the public are able to access the library facilities at Exeter and Plymouth University. Whilst access is limited i.e. you can only look at books/ journals onsite, there is the opportunity to view and download journal articles from publications such as The British Journal of Social Work.
There are additional opportunities for Alumni of the University which include taking resources out on loan.
For more information follow the links below