FAQs for clients and families

Will I have less support?

The point of the review is to identify what needs to have that are eligible for support under the Care Act eligibility.   Although we will write down all your needs not all of them will be eligible ones.  We will then tell you which needs are eligible and which needs we will be providing funding to help meet.  If someone else is meeting the need and they are willing to still do so then we will not be providing funding. 

For needs that are not eligible for funding we will give you information and advice on how you can help yourself and stop them getting worse

For needs that are eligible for funding we will talk to you about all the different ways of meeting that need and we will be helping you to identify the way of meeting that need that is of best value. 

This may be Devon County Council funding lots of support for a short period of time while you learn how to do something and then the support stopping or it could mean buying a piece of equipment that will help you rather than staff having to be around.

When we have agreed what is best value we will write it all down so that you know what to expect.

So you may get less support, a few people have had more support because of this review and other people have had support in a different way.

I own my own house does this make a difference?

Many people using Devon County Council care services own their own homes, many will also have needs that are not eligible for social care to help them to remain in their homes. Support is available to help people make changes to their homes, or make other arrangements for support needed that is not eligible for social care funding. There can come a time, as people’s needs change, when other accommodation is considered.

Some people may sell their home and move into a residential or nursing home, or perhaps move into Extra Care Housing or Supported Accommodation, where care can be provided from just a few hours a day up to 24 hours of each day. Social care funding is available for eligible needs and people will then fund other arrangements to help themselves in other ways.

These are options that are available to people within the shared ownership housing complexes that we will be reviewing.

What can I expect when the Review team come to my home

The point of the review is to identify what needs to have that are eligible for support under the Care Act eligibility.   Although we will write down all your needs not all of them will be eligible ones.  We will then tell you which needs are eligible and which needs we will be providing funding to help meet.  If someone else is meeting the need and they are willing to still do so then we will not be providing funding.


Information you will receive before your review starts

Before coming out to review your package of support we will be sending you an information pack so you are prepared for the review process.





If you have any questions or comments about any of these documents please send them to the Supported Living Mailbox.

If you have made changes to my support do you come and see how I am doing?

There will be a review scheduled within the first 3 months to follow up on the new arrangement with you.

What is the review about?

Many people are living together in shared accommodation where they also share paid for support. Currently it’s not clear if the people sharing are getting the support they each need, and it’s important that the arrangements are fair for everybody.

We will be talking to people sharing the accommodation to confirm what each person wishes to achieve by living there, and as part of this we will identify the common needs that can be met by shared support. We will also be talking to the providers of the accommodation, to agree what to pay for the shared support being provided.

The agreement with the providers on hours of support that can be shared by the people living there will be called a Supported Living contract. This will mean that everyone living there will be clear on what is being paid for, and will know their own share of this support.

The individual hours of support that each person does not share with others will also be agreed.

I had my Support Plan review a little while ago, why do I need to do it again?

We will review the information collected within the previous review. However we still want to come out to visit you to check the information and to make sure that you understand what is being bought on your behalf.

Does this mean I will see any difference in the support I receive?

We will do a full review with you involving anyone that you wish to involve, such as your family or an independent advocate, to listen to your wishes and understand what you want to achieve. We will discuss the options to best provide the support you need to improve or maintain your independence and lifestyle choices.

Where support can be shared by other people in the building you live in then this will be through a Supported Living agreement, this may mean that the individual hours of support you require outside of the shared hours will change. You may see a reduction or an increase in hours of support depending on your individual circumstances.

Will there be changes to my Direct Payment or what I pay?

What you will see on your support plan is the number of hours of support you share with others in the building and the cost for this, then the hours and type of any additional services supporting your individual needs and those costs. This may result in a change to the overall cost of your support plan.

What does the Fair and Affordable Care Policy mean for me?

Supported Living, and the offer of shared hours of support, is a way for people with higher support needs to have their needs met in a cost effective way. Devon County Council is required to do this by our Fair and Affordable Care Policy.

How does day care fit into Supported Living arrangements?

Your Care Plan is arranged to ensure that your identified outcomes can be achieved. The individual hours agreed can be used for day care if that meets the outcomes described for you. The cost for day care will be taken from the personal budget allowance for individual hours allocated under your Care Plan.

How would transport fit into Supported Living arrangements?

We have a responsibility to provide transport if the activity you are being transported to is eligible. We will agree with you to fund certain outcome areas we feel you need support with, if transport is required to achieve this outcome then we will also offer transport.

For example:
If your outcome is to be able to do your food shopping, we will discuss how you will get to the shops as part of the assessment.

If you are able to get to the shop, but need support to buy your groceries we will not provide transport; if you’re not able to travel safely to the shops then we will provide transport.

Read our Transport Policy for more information.

Can I share my 1:1 hours?

Yes, if you choose to do so. However your individual outcomes must still be achievable.

What do I do if my home offers less service than my assessed need?

The options will be different depending on whether the increase in need is a short term situation or longer term. We will discuss with you what arrangements can be made immediately to keep you safe and then what options are most appropriate to you.

You could decide to stay and pay the difference yourself, but you need to be aware that if you miss a payment we will contact you to ask that the payment is made. It is really important that you tell us quickly if you cannot pay. This agreement is legally binding and we suggest that you (or your family if it is a third party) take independent financial advice before considering this option.

If we have to ask for payment more than three times in one year, we may decide that less expensive accommodation within the value of your personal budget is more appropriate for you and you may need to move.

What do I do if my home offers more service than my assessed need?

We will continue to pay while we discuss the options with you as each individual’s situation is different.

What happens to my Direct Payment?

If you have chosen to take all, or part, of your personal budget allocation as a Direct Payment you can continue this arrangement. You must be able to manage the Direct Payment, or have someone to support you. Managing a Direct Payment may include being responsible for negotiating and commissioning services.

Why are you doing this now?

We need to understand what is being bought on behalf of each person. This means that the person and their family know what to expect from the providers and we can prove that we are spending money wisely

The Fair and Affordable Care Policy says that we have a duty to make sure that we could not meet your needs for less money if you lived somewhere else.

“The Fair and Affordable Care Policy under the Care Act 2015 requires DCC to use its resources in a way that is fair for all of the people in Devon who require adult social care and to ensure that best value for DCC is achieved. Services provided will reflect the choice and preferences of individuals, whilst balancing the need to arrange care that is sufficient to meet eligible needs whilst always looking to make best value of the finite resources available” Where is this quote from?

From April 2016 the way we buy personal care services is changing. This means that anyone providing regulated services has to apply and be part of our new contractual framework. There is an opportunity for organisations operating Supported Living services to offer the regulated personal care service in partnership with others, in response to the Living Well @ Home tender. If they choose not to apply, or are unsuccessful, you need to be clear what services they offer that you are purchasing and what options you have for additional personal care services.

This will be considered in any revision of service arrangements for people being reviewed by this project.

What happens if I want the provider of my shared hours support to support my individual needs too?

On your support plan you will have two different agreements, one for the shared hours and one for the individual hours. To live in the house you will need to have the shared hours supplied by the organisation currently in place. The person reviewing you will talk through the different ways you can use your individual hours so you can choose how you want those needs met.

What happens if my shared hours provider doesn’t form an association with the Living Well @ Home organisation?

If your shared hours provider does not form an association with the Living Well @ Home organisation we will work with you to make alternative arrangements with another suitable provider.

Alternatively, as long as your shared hours provider has the appropriate registration and the service offer is appropriately priced, you may choose to take a Direct Payment and continue to have your individual services from them.