Sandygate roundabout, Exeter
Devon County Council is undertaking a significant resurfacing scheme at Sandygate roundabout (including the motorway services roundabout) and we will be closing the motorway junction overnight (8pm – 5am) for a period of 2 weeks, from 13 – 24 November.
The road surface at this busy junction has reached the end of its serviceable life and while we are working in this location we are taking the opportunity to carry out other maintenance work.
What are we doing?
- Resurfacing and relining.
- Work to clean and replace signs.
- Vegetation clearance.
Why do we have to close the road?
We must ensure the safety of our workforce and the public, and in order to comply with our safety guidelines, we are unable to carry out this work without a road closure. Closing the road also allows us to carry out the work in a more efficient way so that we can get the work completed quicker.
How is local traffic being handled?
A series of fully signed diversions will be in place and while they will cater for all car or van movements they will not all be suitable for HGVs.
In order to minimise disruption to businesses, the intention is to allow HGVs travelling from Exeter to east Devon, or vice versa, through the closed junction in a controlled manner.
- Access will only be permitted to HGVs. Smaller vehicles will be asked to follow the signed diversions.
- HGV drivers will be stopped at the edge of the site and may be asked to wait for a short while for an appropriate opportunity to be escorted across the site.
- There will be no access on or off the M5 at junction 30. Motorway access will be maintained at junction 29.
What other traffic management will there be?
After 24 November, the junction will remain open for use however our contractor may choose to use lane closures to complete the work. Any traffic management will be at night so there will be no impact on traffic in the daytime.
What impact will there be during the day?
All of the work will be carried out at night (8pm – 5am) so there will be no impact on traffic during the day.