School crossing patrols
School crossing patrols help children and other pedestrians cross the road safely while they are walking to and from school at a designated point/s and between specified times.
Providing a patrol is not a statutory requirement and even where a patrol is provided, parents remain responsible for ensuring their children’s safety, just as they do when there is a zebra or a signalised crossing.
Requesting a School Crossing Patrol
We do not have a duty to provide school crossing patrols. However, if you think there’s a particular location near the school, where the majority of children cross, would benefit from a Patrol please e-mail: email@example.com We will carry out an assessment which includes the number of pupils crossing, the volume of traffic and any special site characteristics and we will advise you accordingly.
N.B Sites will be approved only if they meet the national criteria and will not be established until a suitable person can be recruited and trained to fill the post.
Could you be a local hero?
We have vacancies for school crossing patrols at various schools across Devon. (Scroll down)
- Rate of pay £8.50 per hour from 1st April 2018 & £9 per hour from 1st April 2019
- Patrols work approx. five to six hours per week during the school term.
- Uniform, full training and ongoing support is provided.
- Clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB) is required, which we will pay for.
- A medical assessment is required prior to appointment and regular assessments must be undertaken thereafter.
Job description, person specification and an application form are available here. If you require a paper copy please telephone our Human Resources(HR) team on Tel: 01392 383000 and ask for ‘Recruitment’ or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal discussion about these vacancies please Tel: 01392 383000 and when prompted ask for ‘Colin Savage’ or email: email@example.com
Many of our Patrols come from the school community e.g. parents, grandparents, governors, helpers, mealtime assistants, teaching assistants or local residents. Please promote the School Crossing Patrol vacancies using our free recruitment resources listed below through your usual communication methods e.g. ParentMail, newsletters, note in childrens’ bags, PTA, school website and social media, posters and flyers in school and locally in the community.
- “Could you be a Local Hero?” recruitment films – 30 second version, 90 second version and 90 second subtitled version. Subtitled version could be played on a TV in the school reception area. If you require copies of the actual films please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Banner. We will supply the banner (200cm wide x 50cm high approx.) for schools to fix in a suitable location outside the school.
- We encourage school communities to also provide a volunteer, to be trained to be a School Crossing Patrol to cover periods of absence.
Current School Crossing Patrol vacancies*
- DCC site no. 006 Exeter School, Magdalen Road Zebra Crossing, Exeter (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 008. St Michaels /Ladysmith, Hamlin Lane, junction of Hanover Road Exeter.
- DCC site no. 018. Stoke Hill roundabout, Exeter
- DCC site no. 023. Willowbrook Primary School, Exeter
- DCC site no. 027 Brixington, Exmouth (to cover absence)
- DCC site no. 029. Marpool Primary, Moorfield Rd, Exmouth
- DCC site no. 031 Marpool Primary, Bradham Lane, Exmouth (afternoon shift)
- DCC site no. 035 Withycombe Raleigh/Marpool/ Community College, Pound Lane, Exmouth
- DCC site no. 036 Withycombe Raleigh, Withycombe Village Road, Exmouth
- DCC site no. 043 Sidmouth Primary School, Vicarage Rd.
- DCC site no. 048. Two Moors Primary, o/s pedestrian entrance, Cowley Moor Road, Tiverton.
- DCC site no. 049 Aveton Gifford C of E Primary (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 050 Bovey Tracey Primary
- DCC site no. 052. Dartington C of E Primary, Dartington
- DCC site no. 057 The Erme Primary / Ivybridge Community College, Ivybridge (Harford Rd)
- DCC site no. 058, The Erme Primary / Ivybridge Community College, Ivybridge(Station Rd & Blachford Rd)
- DCC site no. 062 All Saint’s (Marsh), Newton Abbot
- DCC site no. 069 Tavistock Community Primary / Tavistock College, Tavistock
- DCC site no. 071 Hazeldown School, Higher Exeter Rd, Teignmouth
- DCC site no.072 Hazeldown School, New Road, Teignmouth
- DCC site no. 074 West Alvington C of E Primary, nr Kingsbridge (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 075 Whitchurch, Tavistock (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 077 Newport Community School Primary Academy, Barnstaple
- DCC site no. 080 Yeo Valley Primary / Ashleigh C of E Primary, Bear St, Barnstaple (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 081 Yeo Valley Primary, Derby Road, Barnstaple (monitoring)
- DCC site no. 099 South Molton
- DCC site no.209 Kingsacre, Braunton (School funded)
- DCC site no. 212 Colyton Grammar, Colyford (A3052)
- DCC site no. 215 South Molton United C of E Primary School, Exeter Rd (School funded)
These vacancies may be subject to change and not all locations may be available at the time of your application.
Vacancies at other locations may become available in the future so please contact us to register your interest.
Vacant sites, that do not meet the national criteria for a Local Authority funded Patrol, are reviewed by Devon County Council. Schools will be advised of the options available.