School crossing patrols
School crossing patrols help children and other pedestrians cross the road safely while they are walking to and from school at a designated point/s and between specified times.
Providing a patrol is not a statutory requirement and even where a patrol is provided, parents remain responsible for ensuring their children’s safety, just as they do when there is a zebra or a signalised crossing.
Requesting a School Crossing Patrol
We do not have a duty to provide school crossing patrols. However, if you think there’s a particular location near the school, where the majority of children cross, would benefit from a Patrol please e-mail us: email@example.com We will carry out an assessment which includes the number of pupils crossing, the volume of traffic and any special site characteristics and we will advise you accordingly.
N.B Sites will be approved only if they meet the national criteria and will not be established until a suitable person can be recruited and trained to fill the post.
Could you be a local hero?
We have vacancies for school crossing patrols at various schools across Devon. (Scroll down)
- Rate of pay £7.78 per hour
- Patrols work approx. five to seven hours per week during the school term.
- Uniform, full training and ongoing support is provided.
- Clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB) is required, which we will pay for.
- A medical assessment is required prior to appointment and regular assessments must be undertaken thereafter.
Job description, person specification and an application form are available here. If you require a paper copy please telephone our Human Resources(HR) team on Tel: 01392 383000 and ask for “Recruitment” or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal discussion about these vacancies please Tel: 01392 383000 and when prompted ask for Colin Savage or email: email@example.com
Many of our Patrols come from the school community e.g. parents, grandparents, governors, helpers, mealtime assistants, teaching assistants. Please promote the School Crossing Patrol vacancies using our free recruitment resources listed below through your usual communication methods e.g. ParentMail, newsletters, note in childrens’ bags, PTA, school website and social media, posters and flyers in school and locally in the community.
- “Could you be a Local Hero?” recruitment films – 30 second version, 90 second version and 90 second subtitled version. Subtitled version could be played on a TV in the school reception area. If you require copies of the actual films please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Banner. We will supply the banner (200cm wide x 50cm high approx.) for schools to fix in a suitable location outside the school.
- We encourage school communities to also provide a volunteer, to be trained to be a School Crossing Patrol to cover periods of absence.
Current School Crossing Patrol vacancies*
- DCC site no. 008. St Michaels /Ladysmith, Hamlin Lane, junction of Hanover Road Exeter.
- DCC site no. 018. Stoke Hill roundabout, Exeter
- DCC site no. 023. Willowbrook Primary School, Exeter
- DCC site no. 029. Marpool Primary, Moorfield Rd, Exmouth
- DCC site no. 035. Withycombe Raleigh C of E Primary, Pound Lane, Exmouth (Dependant on site assessment). UPDATE: New patrol starting Sept 2017
- DCC site no. 043, Sidmouth Primary School, Vicarage Rd.
- DCC site no. 044. Heathcoat Primary, Tiverton UPDATE: New patrol starting Sept 2017
- DCC site no. 048. Two Moors Primary, o/s pedestrian entrance, Cowley Moor Road, Tiverton.
- DCC site no. 052. Dartington C of E Primary, Dartington
- DCC site no. 057 The Erme Primary / Ivybridge Community College, Ivybridge (Harford Rd)
- DCC site no. 058A & 058B, The Erme Primary / Ivybridge Community College, Ivybridge(Station Rd & Blachford Rd)
- DCC site no. 066, Haytor View Community Primary, Newton Abbot
- DCC site no. 069. Tavistock Community Primary / Tavistock College, Tavistock
- DCC site no. 071. Hazeldown School, Higher Exeter Rd, Teignmouth
- DCC site no.072. Hazeldown School, New Road, Teignmouth
- DCC site no.073. Our Lady and St Patrick’s Catholic Primary, Teignmouth
- DCC site no. 074. West Alvington C of E Primary, nr Kingsbridge
- DCC site no. 075. Whitchurch, Tavistock
- DCC site no. 080 Yeo Valley Primary / Ashleigh C of E Primary, Bear St, Barnstaple
- DCC site no. 096. Okehampton Primary, Okehampton (School funded)
- DCC site no. 208 Ashburton, Woodland Road (School funded)
- DCC site no.209, Kingsacre, Braunton (School funded)
- DCC site no. 212, Colyton Grammar, Colyford (A3052)
- DCC site no. 214, Kingskerswell, Jury’s Corner (External funding only till 31st Dec 2017)
These vacancies may be subject to change and not all locations may be available at the time of your application.
Vacancies at other locations may become available in the future so please contact us to register your interest.