The application process

Information for contractors

Contractor declaration

If you have been engaged to construct a vehicle crossing or access ramp, ensure you have been given our site-specific specification by your client which will show the relevant VC reference number and construction specification.

Before completing the declaration, check to make sure there are no other roadworks taking place which will clash with your proposed work dates. Please also make sure you have read our specification before constructing any vehicle crossing/access ramp.

  • In most cases, you only need to provide 15 working days’ notice. However, if you require a road closure to construct the vehicle crossing/access ramp, you will need to provide 3 months’ notice and complete a separate application. The application will cost £300 for a closure of up to 5 days and £800 for a closure of more than 5 days. Full details can be found at Temporary traffic restrictions.
  • You must call 01392 382090 and leave a message telling us the VC ref number and the exact date you plan to excavate. If you fail to let us know when you excavate, you could be charged.

The maximum work duration we accept is 5 days, if you require more, please contact us to discuss.

Make sure you have read our terms and conditions, and you are aware of our random checks process.

Please complete this declaration form, which is an editable PDF so you can simply type in your details, save the PDF, and email it back to us at

Once we have approved the application, we will send you the licence. You must not carry out any work until you have received the licence.

Help us improve

If you have recently worked on a vehicle crossing and would like to provide some feedback on the process please use our Highways feedback form to do so. We will look at all feedback submitted and, where possible, use it to improve our service.