Make a request

Vehicle crossings (dropped kerbs) and access ramps

A vehicle crossing (often referred to as a dropped kerb) is a specially constructed section of pavement or verge to enable vehicular access to a property.

You will need to apply for a licence if you wish to create a new access onto the highway which involves dropping the kerbs, or if you intend to extend an existing dropped kerb outside your property.

The approval of an application for a licence is dependent on a number of factors such visibility at the site and distance from the nearest junction. The checklist below, ’10 things you need to check before applying for a vehicle crossing or access ramp’ should give you an indication of whether your application is likely to be successful. However, you should bear in mind that even if you complete this checklist without any issues arising, your application may be still refused due to local safety considerations at your site visit.

If you are creating a new access onto the highway and there are no kerbs to be dropped please contact our team to discuss whether you need to apply for a vehicle crossing. You can call us on 0345 155 1004.

The cost of constructing a vehicle crossing varies depending on the contractor you choose, and the specification of crossing required, but will probably be somewhere between £1,500 and £3,000. It is advisable to obtain a number of quotes before choosing a contractor. If you are uncertain about hiring a contractor the Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice. Our licence costs £260 in total, which covers our safety assessment, construction audit and administration costs.

  • 10 things you need to check before applying for a vehicle crossing or access ramp

    1. Are you able to pay for the licence and construction costs? Construction pricing varies depending on the contractor you choose and the specification of crossing required, but will probably cost somewhere between £1,500 and £3,000. The licence costs £260 which will be taken in two payments: £75 before the first site visit and £185 after site approval.
    2. Are you the homeowner? We can only approve a vehicle crossing with the homeowner’s consent.
    3. Do you require planning permission? You need to check with your local district council to find out if planning permission is required. For more information about planning permission please see the government Planning Portal website.
    4. Do you have enough room to fit a standard vehicle without overhanging the footway? A minimum of 5m in length and 2.7m width is required. Any gates must open in towards the property. Whilst there is no maximum length or width of vehicle crossing specified, each site is assessed for safety and feasibility, and therefore a vehicle crossing for the entire frontage of a property to the highway may not be approved.
    5. Is your proposed site far enough away from the nearest junction? You need to be 15m from an A, B or C road or 10m from a minor road.
    6. Is there good visibility? Walls, hedges or other obstructions may mean that we are unable to approve the vehicle crossing.
    7. Are there any utility covers in the vicinity of the dropped kerb? If there are, you will need to contact the utility company to arrange for it to be removed. Utility companies usually charge for this.
    8. Are there any trees on the footway or verge in the vicinity? If a tree needs to be moved or removed it may cost around £600. If a tree is removed, you will have to pay for two new trees to be planted in an appropriate place.
    9. Is the site clear of street furniture such as road signs? It may be possible to move the street furniture, but it can cost up to £3,000.
    10. Is the site clear of any parking restrictions such as parking bays or bus stops? It may be possible to amend restrictions but the process can cost £3,000.

Find out more about the application process and apply for a vehicle crossing or access ramp >

Help us improve

If you have recently applied for a vehicle crossing or access ramp and would like to provide some feedback on the process please use our Highways feedback form to do so. We will look at all feedback submitted and, where possible, use it to improve our service.