Store materials on the road
If you want to place anything on the highway you will require a Section 171 licence.
Payments can be taken by card over the phone and we will contact you to arrange this.
Alternatively, you can download and print an application form and post it, along with a cheque, to:
Exeter EX2 4QD
The licence permits you to deposit materials on the highway (including temporary traffic lights) and allows minor excavations, for example, repairing a wall. If your work requires more extensive excavations, you will need to apply for a Section 50 licence.
- We need a minimum of 20 days’ notice for applications which are 1-10 days’ work (standard)
- Minimum 3 months’ notice for applications which are 11+ days’ work (major)
- A licence costs £65. If you make the request with fewer than 20 days’ notice, we may still grant the licence but the cost will be £100. However, less than 20 days’ notice can only be accepted for genuine emergencies which endanger life or is a risk to property.
- An extension to an existing licence is £45.
- Contractors need public liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million.
Staff employed to work on site should include a Chapter 8 accredited operative, who will be available at all times, as well as a Chapter 8 supervisor qualified to monitor activities.
You must also ensure that:
- the drainage of surface water will not be obstructed
- no inflammable, dangerous or noxious material will be allowed
- all material deposited must be cleared away as soon as possible and the site left clean and tidy.
If you are applying for a Section 171 licence and your work will prevent traffic from using the road, then you will need to apply for a road closure in addition to this licence.