Place materials on the road
Before any minor work is carried out on or adjacent to the public highway you are required to obtain a Section 171 licence from us.
You will need a Section 171 licence if your work involves any of the following:
- Depositing materials or equipment on the highway (including the footway).
- Building or repairing a boundary wall.
- Carrying out tree works.
- Using a cherry picker.
- Using traffic lights, stop/go boards or closing a road – to close a road you will need to apply for a road closure.
If your work requires more extensive excavations you will need to apply for a Section 50 licence.
To apply for a Section 171 licence, read the conditions, fill in the application form and email it with supporting documents to email@example.com (please ensure you do provide all supporting documents to avoid a delay in your application).
Payments can be taken by card over the phone and we will contact you to arrange this.
Alternatively, you can download and print an application form and post it, along with a cheque, to:
Exeter EX2 4QD
We need a minimum of 20 days’ notice for applications which are 1-10 days’ work (standard) and a minimum of 3 months’ notice for applications which are 11+ days’ work (major)
A licence costs £65. If you make the request with fewer than 20 days’ notice, we may still grant the licence but the cost will be £110. However, less than 20 days’ notice can only be accepted for genuine emergencies which endanger life or is a risk to property.
An extension to an existing licence is £45.
All fees are non-refundable.
Contractors need public liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million.
Staff employed to work on site should include a Chapter 8 accredited operative, who will be available at all times, as well as a Chapter 8 supervisor qualified to monitor activities.
You must also ensure that:
- the drainage of surface water will not be obstructed
- no inflammable, dangerous or noxious material will be allowed
- all material deposited must be cleared away as soon as possible and the site left clean and tidy.