Make a request


You need a licence to place a skip on the highway. Where possible, skips must be kept on private property.

To apply, you will need to get in touch with a skip provider who holds Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8 Signing, Lighting and Guarding cards or certificates and a minimum of £5 million public liability insurance. They will then submit an application to us.

We need a minimum of 10 working days’ notice to process the application.

A licence costs £60. In an exceptional emergency situation, it may be possible to grant a licence with fewer than 10 working days’ notice, at a cost of £110. Applications costs are exempt from tax.

If you need to place further materials in conjunction with the skip ie; building materials, you will be required to apply for section 171 application.

If you are unsure whether an area of land is private or maintained by Devon County Council, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 0345 155 1004. The advisor will be able to inform you if a licence is required, or if you will need to consult with the land owner before commencing works.

If you think a skip on the highway may be unlicensed, please contact us and we will investigate.

Information for contractors


To place a skip on the highway, please apply for a licence using our online form. Our guidance document gives instruction on how to use the online application service.


We require full payment before we can process the application. Our 10 working days’ notice commences upon receipt of both payment and application form. Any applications submitted without the correct payment will be left unprocessed until the fee has been received.

Amendments, cancellations and refunds

If an application or licence needs amending, for example, if the dimensions or dates have changed, you will need to notify us on 01392 382900 or We can only accept amendments from the contractor who has applied for the licence.

If you need to cancel a licence, please contact us on 01392 382900 or, quoting the licence number and/or the location of the work. Please note that you will only be refunded your licence fee if you cancel the application within 1 working hour of submission. After this period, you will be charged the full fee. We can only accept cancellations from the contractor who has applied for the licence.

If you require any more information about skips on the highway, please contact

Office opening hours

Monday – Thursday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Friday: 9:00am – 4.30pm

Please note that there is limited office cover between the hours of 12pm-2pm.
Bank holidays – Closed.
Christmas period – The office closes at 12pm on Christmas Eve and reopens on the first working day after New Year.

Applications for Plymouth and Torbay

We do not issue licences for Plymouth and Torbay. If you are due to commence work in these areas, you will need to apply for a licence from the relevant council.

Plymouth City Council

Torbay Council