Banners and decorations
Your community may want to put up banners or decorations such as bunting, hanging baskets and festive lights over the highway to celebrate or advertise a community event.
There is no charge to do this, but you need to notify us in advance and comply with the following terms and conditions:
As the highway authority we consent to allow temporary, non-commercial banners or seasonal decorations to be erected along, over or above a highway subject to the following terms and conditions.
- Where equipment is to be attached or draw power from a streetlight you must get specific approval from the Street Lighting Team. Email the Team at email@example.com with the details listed at the bottom of this page. There may be a charge for testing equipment if this is required.
- Ensure you have notified your parish or town council about your proposal, and that disagreements are resolved before banners or decorations are put up.
- Equipment must be erected and dismantled safely. See the Traffic Signs Manual (Chapter 8) for information on working safely in the highway. We recommend employing a Chapter 8 accredited contractor to erect and dismantle.
- The items must be securely fixed so as not to pose a danger to the public, and there must be a minimum clearance of 5.7m above the highway.
- You should get permission from the property owner before attaching your banner or decorations to any private property
- Your organisation needs to hold adequate public liability insurance. We would suggest a minimum of £5 million.
- Items must be erected no sooner than two weeks before the event and must be removed within two days of the event ending.
- Any items considered to be unsafe, a nuisance, inappropriate, advertising commercial services, or in breach of these terms and conditions may be removed without notice. If removed they will need to be collected within 14 days and will be subject to a £150 release fee. If not collected within 14 days they will be disposed of.
To notify us of your intent to erect a banner or decoration email firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
- your name and contact details
- what you are putting up
- the location of the items – if multiple streets will have decorations, for example for festive lights, just the main street and town name is needed
- the dates the items will go up and come down
- confirmation that you have read and agree to the terms and conditions