We know that we all need to develop new and different skills as well as building on the huge range of skills and experience we already have.
We will be looking at how we support and develop people and one of those ways will be through the the Change Academy.
The Change Academy is a programme designed to develop new skills and capability, and support continuous learning for innovators and change makers in local public services.
The programme will help individuals discover and explore through experience.
The outcomes will be:
- a cadre of experienced and knowledgeable leaders, equipped with the skills and learning needed to transform services
- support and learning to colleagues to encourage the spread of these new skills
- The council will end up a more agile and responsive organisation, with access to the methods and tools to effect serious and radical change
Local Commissioning Academy
As part of our work as a Local Authority in driving forward transformational change and building community resilience and wellbeing, we are currently working in partnership with Cabinet Office to provide a Local Franchise of the National Commissioning Academy. The Commissioning Academy is a development programme for senior commissioners and those responsible for transforming service delivery in all parts of the public sector, including, local authorities, health bodies, justice organisations and central government
The Cabinet Office has been running a Commissioning Academy since 2013, designed to help senior commissioners learn from the example of the most successful and innovative commissioning groups to deliver more efficient and effective public services.
The programme is for 8 days over a 6-8 month period and consists of master classes, workshops, guest speakers, site visits and peer challenge and covers issues, such as:
- Whole-systems thinking, bringing all facets of public services together to tackle issues
- Systems leadership
- Working with the voluntary and community sector
- Behavioural insights
- Market engagement and development
- Alternative funding models
- Joint commissioning across organisational boundaries
- New models of delivery
Participants of the programme are also required to develop a 100 day plan post development to support transformational change in the local area.
Innovation 500 is a curated/facilitated first step into the Change Academy – by signing up to the Innovation 500 you are committing to 6 hours of self directed learning and reflection over 6 months around innovation and creativity – on average 1 hour per month.
Jam Room Sessions and Armchair code Network
Informal learning and networking is being encouraged through events and sessions like the Arm Chair Code Network and the Lunch and Learn sessions in the Jam Room. More information can be found on the trello board.