Apply for a copy certificate
Before you start
Before a search of the records is made you will need to provide the following information:
- full name of the person(s) included in the registration
- date of the event including day, month and year
- location of the event, for example, town or village
Please be aware our standard delivery service may take up to 7 days.
- Check the appropriate fee / charge for all copy certificates
|post & package (up to 7 days)||£0.50|
|priority service (posted same day)||£20.00|
Other ways to apply
Write to Copy Certificates, Great Moor House, Bittern Road, Sowton, Exeter, EX2 7NL
Fees / Charges
- When ordering by post you should include a cheque made payable to Devon County Council
- Please include a stamped addressed envelope for the returned certificate
Devon Registration Service holds registers for births and deaths and for civil marriages dating back to July 1837, excluding Plymouth and Torbay. Baptismal, Marriage and Burial registers prior to 1837 may be held by the local clergy or Devon Heritage Services.
The General Register Office is responsible for keeping records of all events in England and Wales from 1837 until present day, you can contact them by:
Writing to: GRO, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD.
Telephoning: 0300 123 1837
Please note that reference numbers issued by the General Register Office are different from the local authority numbers and do not match up with local entries.