Why can’t the Council charge for the provision / use of the National Bus Pass?

The County Council administers the National Bus Pass according to legislation contained in the Concessionary Travel Act 2007. As such it is not possible – by law – for us to request payment for the first issue of a National Bus Pass or to request that the passenger pay a contribution to the bus fare. It would require an act of Parliament to alter the legislation governing the National Bus Pass scheme.