The Parish Paths Partnerships Scheme is an initiative to ensure that the rights of way network is properly maintained and well publicised. It has the support of the National Association of Local Councils and is Devon County Council funded. The County Council was one of the first 15 Highway Authorities to participate in this scheme, which encourages community involvement and enjoyment of public rights of way. Devon County Council is working in partnership with parish/town councils, landowners and local voluntary groups. The main aim is to improve the condition of the local rights of way and keep them open and used properly.
Parish/town councils in the scheme receive a grant to undertake rights of way work. The grant, paid by Devon County Council, covers:
- The mileage, based on the length of rights of way in your parish.
- Special projects.
Path condition survey and inspection
Each year before the parish/town council receives its annual grant it organises a survey:
- This is an assessment of the condition of the rights of way, in order to find out what work needs to be done.
- The survey provides the information necessary for calculation of the grant payment.
- Developments and improvements – upgrading and re-opening paths by undertaking practical work such as vegetation clearance, repairing stiles and waymarking, in consultation with farmers and landowners.
- Events – helping people to feel confident about using the network by organising, for example, guided walks and rights of way days.
This is a simple agreement which is drawn up between Devon County Council and the recipients of the grant, usually the parish council, setting out how they will work together on improving the rights of way network.
News and updates (updated October 2016)
The 2016 workshops will be held during November at Otterton, Morchard Bishop, Ringmore, West Down, and Hatherleigh, and will be in the form of a ‘walk and talk’ session between 9.00 a.m. and 12.00 a.m. at each venue. For further details or if you would like to attend one of these sessions please contact Ros Davies (email@example.com)
If you are an existing parish in the scheme and would like to apply for future funding please select the online form below.
- Works Undertaken Summary
- Expenditure Summary
- Annual Grant Form
- Guidance Notes for the Annual Grant Form (21KB – pdf help)
For further information about the scheme you can:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone the Rights of Way Service on 0345 155 1004