Go purple on Purple Tuesday, the UK’s accessible shopping day
Posted on: 2 November 2018
North Devon Council and Barnstaple Town Centre Management are encouraging local businesses to sign up to Purple Tuesday, the UK’s accessible shopping day on Tuesday 13 November.
Purple Tuesday is a new campaign to encourage retailers to make shopping experiences more accessible and inclusive for disabled customers. The initiative is being coordinated by the disability organisation Purple.
Purple Tuesday isn’t a one-day shopping event, the aim of the day is to increase awareness of the value and needs of disabled customers and make sustainable changes to improve customer experiences. Local businesses can sign up online to pledge their support, with lots of resources available to download and help you go PURPLE for the day!
Executive Member for Economic Development, Councillor Pat Barker, says: “Nearly one in five people in the UK has an impairment or disability and there are still many barriers making it harder for disabled people to find work, shop and socialise. There are many ways local businesses can improve the accessibility of their workplace to make things easier for disabled staff and customers. Let’s get North Devon as purple as possible on Purple Tuesday.”
There are lots of ideas on the Purple Tuesday website for how your business can become more accessible in the long term, including:
- carrying out an accessibility audit (with checklists available to download)
- providing disability-focused customer service training for staff (online training guides also available)
- signing up to the government’s Disability Confident scheme to become an inclusive workplace
- introducing regular ‘quiet hours’
- providing the option to buy now, collect later or buy in store for home delivery
- more inclusive marketing and product photography.