Summer of free fun ahead at Barnstaple museum
Posted on: 6 July 2017
Keep your children entertained for free this summer, with a host of events at the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon.
There will be free craft sessions from 10.30am to 3.30pm, every Wednesday during the school holidays, all inspired by the ‘Hatched, Matched and Dispatched’ exhibition on display at the museum this summer:
- 26 July – Design and decorate a colourful egg to take home
- 2 August – Design your own peg doll or spinning top toy
- 9 August – Create your own photobooth props and pose for a photo in the museum’s pop-up frame
- 16 August – Design and colour your own mini-lantern house
- 23 August – Bring your family along for a giant ‘Book of the Dead’ colouring event on the Square
- 30 August – create your own skull mask, get your face painted ‘Day of the Dead’ style or create some amazing colourful jewellery
Meanwhile, on Saturday 29 July, you can bring along any interesting objects you may have found to a free Finds Identification day at the museum. Share your finds with Will Partridge from the South West Heritage Trust, who will help reveal the history behind your discoveries.
Executive Member for Parks, Leisure and Culture at North Devon Council, Councillor Dick Jones, says: “We are very pleased the museum continues to offer a great range of free events for local families and visitors throughout the holidays. These fun activities are all linked to the fascinating new exhibition that will soon be on display in the museum, so there will be lots to see and do while the children play. There is also a lovely cafe to enjoy at the end of your visit.”
The ‘Hatched, Matched and Dispatched’ exhibition runs from 22 July to 9 September, telling the history of North Devonians through their life stages, with stories and objects collected from local people.
The Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon is open from 10am to 4pm from Monday to Saturday, admission is free. Check out the museum’s Facebook page to keep up to date with all the latest news and events.Posted in: Leisure