Reminder of waste and recycling changes next month

Posted on: 22 May 2017

Make sure you’re ready for the changes to North Devon Council’s waste and recycling service, kicking in next month.

From Monday 5 June the council is introducing:

• garden waste collection service for an annual fee of £36
  • a weekly food waste collection service
  • a trial of new collection methods including three-weekly bin collections in a small area of the district (about 3,400 properties)

The council has started taking payments for green bins, with many households who want to continue using the service already signing up. You can order and pay for your green bin online or by phone using a credit or debit card, or by cheque in person at the council’s offices (cash payments can only be made at Lynton House).

New kerbside food caddies are currently being delivered to all eligible properties in the district, ready for the weekly food waste collections service. From June food waste will no longer go in the green wheelie bin – you will need to use your kitchen and kerbside food caddies. The caddies contain a handy instruction guide, explaining what to recycle in which container. Kerbside caddies should be put out for collection from the week commencing 5 June.

In the council’s push to Recycle More, you might find you need extra recycling boxes or bags. Households can have up to two of each container, with all items available to order online at www.northdevon.gov.uk/recyclemore.

Head of Operational Services, Ricky McCormack, says: “These are big changes to our waste and recycling service and we want everyone to be prepared to recycle more. A charge is being introduced for the green wheelie bin service, which means if you want to continue using your green bin, you need to register and pay, either online, over the phone or in person, whatever’s easier for you. Over the coming weeks, all households will receive a new food waste caddy, which will be emptied every week alongside your other recycling.  We need to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and recycle more. Our leaflets being delivered with the food caddies explain what you can recycle – there really should be very little going in your black wheelie bin. We all need to take responsibility for our waste, cut down what’s going to landfill and recycle more.”

Five new Recycling Advisers have also been employed, to help residents in the trial area with the change from fortnightly to three-weekly black bin collections. They will be out and about in the trial area, offering advice about recycling and how to cut down on household waste. If you are in the three-weekly trial area, you will have already received a letter and full information from the council. If you have any queries about the changes, get in touch with the council on 01271 388360 or email customerservices@northdevon.gov.uk.

For all the latest news and information, follow the council on Facebook and Twitter, or go online to www.northdevon.gov.uk/recyclemore.

11 comments on “Reminder of waste and recycling changes next month

1. Linda stewart says:

4th June today and we have not yet received kerb side caddies in Molland. Perhaps you can advise please?

• Holly says:

Hi, thank you for your comment.
      We have crews out at the moment delivering caddies to places that have been missed. If you haven’t received yours by the weekend please let us know and we can order another one.
      You can do this online: https://my.northdevon.gov.uk/service/Recycling_containers
      or by calling our Customer Services Team on 01271 374776.
      If you haven’t had your caddy by your normal recycling day, put your food waste in your green or black bin this week, whichever is due.

2. P. Cottam says:

Looks like your clocks at the council are EU orientated. I think we are in BST

3. P. Cottam says:

I have been trying for the last three weeks to get the address where to send the cheque for the garden waste service. Each time i get the same recorded message telling me that there is plenty of time. I have already registered for the service on line. What it has cost me in phone calls I dread to think.
    Next question, Where can I get the calendar for waste collections for the rest of the year. Regards P.C.

4. Sarah Gallagher says:

Our final green bin collection was a week ago, you have not delivered a kerbside caddy to me, what am I supposed to do with my waste? Would it not have been better to ensure that everyone had their caddies PRIOR to stopping collection of green bins, or is that too logical? Tuesday is our recycling day, so should I just put all my bagged up food waste out for collection, as it is clogging up my fridge.

• Holly says:

Hi, thank you for your comment.
      or by calling our Customer Services Team on 01271 374776.

5. Vince Oconnell says:

Can’t sign up over website , every time I try it tells me the green bin service is not available for my address even though it has been picked up for last 14years. I don’t think lane field road bideford is outside the area.This is very poor

• amycarr says:

Sorry you are having trouble with the website. Please can you send us your address and we will look into this for you. You can send us a private message on Facebook, telephone customer services (01271 388360) or send them an email to customerservices@northdevon.gov.uk.

6. martin evans says:

Very unhappy with you – I’m not computer savy and taken ages to sign up – then can’t register for the £36 green bin yearly payment because I have to join “Twitter” , over my dead body will I sign up to that waste of space – i’ll use the phone instead – what a waste of space this is !!