Sign up for garden waste collection service

Posted on: 27 April 2017

North Devon Council will soon be introducing a chargeable garden waste collection service in the district, alongside a number of other changes to their waste and recycling service.

From 5 June the council will start collecting garden waste from householders who have signed up and paid for the service, as free green wheelie bin collections will end.

North Devon Council will charge a £36 annual fee per green wheelie bin for householders who wish to continue having their garden waste collected every two weeks, and residents can sign up and pay for this service online from 2 May. A dedicated telephone line has also been set up by the council to answer any queries residents may have about this, and other changes to the waste and recycling service. Householders will also be able to pay in person by cheque and card at any of the council’s community offices  (The Ilfracombe Centre, The Amory Centre in South Molton and Lynton House in Barnstaple), and also by cash at Lynton House.

Head of Operational Services, Mr Ricky McCormack says: “Garden waste collection is a discretionary service, and only around half of households in the district use it. Unfortunately, with government funding cuts we can no longer afford to offer the free garden waste collection. However, we recognise that many households value the service, and charging a small annual fee is the fairest way we can continue to provide it. For those who wish to sign up, garden waste will be collected fortnightly – or every four weeks during the winter months. For householders who don’t want to pay the £36 per bin fee there are other options: share the cost with a neighbour, take garden waste to one of the county’s recycling centres, or undertake home composting instead.”

This service change is being brought in alongside a number of improvements to the council’s recycling service, including a new weekly food waste collection. The council will deliver a kerbside caddy to every household, and this should be used to dispose of all cooked and raw food waste. The caddy will be then be emptied by recycling crews on a weekly basis at the kerbside, alongside recycling boxes and bags. This means that food waste will no longer be collected from green or black wheelie bins, and residents should instead use the kerbside caddy they will be provided with in May.

More information on the changes to the council’s waste and recycling service are on their website www.northdevon.gov.uk/recyclemore.

22 comments on “Sign up for garden waste collection service

1. John Lewis says:

Agree with the council plans. Brilliant idea. Council tax should be for the council to enjoy. For everything else the public should pay separately. Each pot hole should be the responsibility of the person living next to it for instance. We should drag our own bins to the council office and then pay the council for the privilege. etc. etc.

2. Mr. L Weaver says:

I want to sign up for Green Wheelie Bin collection service please

3. Jo Riding says:

Hi there. Can the amount be paid in cash ? Thanks

4. D says:

We use our green bin 5 maybe 6 times a year. Can we not pay half!
    Or each time it’s used?

5. RIco says:

I have a small green bin as don’t usually have much to put in it. I guess this is the same price to empty as the large one? Also the hedge in front of my house on Barton Road hasn’t been cut by the council for two years now and is getting too high. You can’t see the Woolbarn Lawn sign anymore. Is the council ever going to cut the hedges? Tried to cut down a bit but branches grown to thick. Do I have to pay council tax, green bin and also cut the hedge for the council? Seems unfair! I can’t physically manage to do it any more!

6. Sara Smith says:

says my property is not eligible for the green waste collection service, my property is at First Raleigh surely this street would be covered?

7. Steve says:

I live in Chittlehamholt and my address does not appear in the drop down list when I sign up. It gives a location between 2 roads and then says that my address is not eligible.

Apart from phoning surely someone has checked that the web site works correctly by now?

8. George Anderson says:

George Anderson says:
    13 May 2017 at 4:15 pm
    We live at Mill on the Mole residential park, at the moment most of the green bins
    belong to the park which we are able to use and the park staff then put them at the entrance of the park. Will the vehicle come onto the park to empty a green bin if I pay for one? Or will I still have to put it out at the entrance to the park my self? If the latter is the case what is to stop anyone putting their waste into my bin, or visa versa me not paying for a bin and just using any bin that is there. In situations like living on parks like ours, paying for a bin is a complete farce. We will have to pay £36 for bin that will not be collected from our door step.

9. Jeff Hughes says:

Your phone lines are too busy and on line all I get is ‘oops North Devon is having problems’. Can I register here for green bin collection. How do I pay the £36pa charge?

• Mair says:

Sorry to hear you had problems getting through yesterday, our phones have been very busy. Please do try online again and if you have the same error message, if you could take a screenshot and email it over to us at communications@northdevon.gov.uk we can ask IT to investigate.
      You can call us on 01271 388360 to register and pay, or pop into any of our offices at Lynton House in Barnstaple, The Ilfracombe Centre or the Amory Centre in South Molton.

10. Graham Moore says:

says my property is not eligible for the green waste collection service, surely a place like Fremington must be being covered?

11. Juliet Jones says:

I thought the council was against fly-tipping. All it seems to be doing here is encouraging more people to get rid of waste themselves. Some of us don’t have cars to take rubbish to centres. Some of us are disabled and cannot physically get rubbish in/out of cars, up a set of steps and lift over the high side of a skip. So glad our council has thought this plan through.

12. Rebecca says:

HOW DO I SIGN UP!!!
    Actually fed up with trawling the website – I just want to ‘pay-up’

13. Averil Kingdon says:

So what is going to happen to all the green bins not being used anymore

• George Anderson says:

• amycarr says:

Unfortunately we cannot get our current vehicles around Mill on the Mole residential park, so bins will have to be brought to a collection point at present. However, we are trialling a much smaller vehicle because of issues such as this. If successful, we will start using the smaller vehicle to make collections from individual properties.

Only customers who have subscribed to the service will be issued with a bin permit which must be displayed on the bin. A database will also identify which customers have paid and this information is displayed inside each of the collection vehicles. Only bins that display the permit and are on the database will be collected. All other bins will be rejected with notices placed on the bins.

14. Averil Kingdon says:

So what is going to happen to the green bins that are no longer being used

• amycarr says:

Some people may wish to keep their green wheelie bins, to give themselves the option to sign up for garden waste collections at a later date (especially as we may offer more flexible options in the future, like a one-off collection charge). Alternatively, residents can use their green wheelie bins as a water-butt, or easily convert them into a home-composter – there are instructions on how to do this on our website.

15. mike dempsey says:

Typical Devon council another way to keep there free parking & perks while the rest of us struggle to live.

16. Richard Lelliott says:

So, what is the cost of providing every household with a ‘kerbside caddy’?
    What happens to all the unwanted green bins, and what was the cost of them? Perhaps Rodney Cann could be billed for this profligate waste.
    How long before you start charging for ‘kerbside caddies’?
    Does anyone know what they are doing?