Reminder to recycle this Christmas
Posted on: 7 December 2016
With more waste than usual being placed out for collection between Christmas and New Year and three bank holidays coming up, make sure you know when North Devon Council’s waste and recycling crews will be visiting your home.
Find out your collection days over the festive period on the council’s website. Enter your postcode to view your collection dates and print off a refuse collection calendar, specifically for your property.
To cope with the expected increase in rubbish over Christmas, the council will be using larger refuse lorries to pick up some recycling, instead of its usual recycling lorries. With this in mind, residents are being reassured these items won’t be going to landfill but will be recycled as usual.
Executive Member for Environment, Councillor Rodney Cann, says: “We normally see an increase in the amount of recycling over Christmas and New Year and this is to be encouraged. However, if you see a refuse lorry picking up your recycling, please don’t worry – it will be recycled. We are using the larger vehicles purely to help us transport the high volume of materials.
“Please separate your recycling into the green box and bags and check your collection dates on the council’s website, to make sure your recycling is out on the right day.”
Here’s a reminder of some of the festive items that can be recycled. These include:
- Christmas cards without glitter (to go in brown bags)
Christmas card envelopes (to go in green bags)
- Cardboard (flatten boxes and put in your brown bag. If you fill your brown bag and have lots of excess cardboard, please hold onto it until your next recycling collection)
- Food waste, including turkey bones (to go in green bins/kerbside caddies)
- Batteries (to go in green box)
- Small electrical items (to go in green box)
- Real Christmas trees (to be cut up and put in green bins – please ensure lids are closed)
Unfortunately, wrapping paper cannot be recycled, so this must go in your black wheelie bin or black bag.
If you want a collection calendar but do not have access to a computer, contact Customer Services on 01271 374776 or send us an email to request a printed copy.Posted in: Environment