Improved recycling service due to start!

Small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)Small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)

Posted on: 18 August 2016

When sorting out your next recycling, don’t forget you can now add household batteries and small electrical to your kerbside collection. From Monday 22 August, North Devon Council will be accepting a variety of additional recyclable items, such as:

  • small kitchen appliances (for example, kettles, toasters, irons)
  • hairdryers, straighteners and clippers
  • clocks, watches, calculators and torches
  • remote controls, laptops, mobile phones, cameras
  • small flat screen TVs and monitors
  • radios, CD players and MP3 players
  • small electronic toys (for example, remote control cars)
  • small power tools, smoke detectors
  • household batteries, but not car batteries

All items should be no larger than a standard-sized carrier bag.

Executive Member for environment, Councillor Rodney Cann, said:  “We’ve already received some positive feedback from residents about our plans to expand our recycling service. So, now the improved service is here, we hope everyone across the district will fully support it and use it widely.

“We currently recycle just over 44% of all our household waste and, with this improved service, we hope that percentage will increase to help us towards meeting our 50% target by 2020.”

Small WEEE and batteries can be put in your recycling box. However, households are being asked to place batteries in a small bag first, such as a sandwich bag, to keep them separate from other items. (Please note, these bags will not be recycled.) If you need a second recycling box, you can request one online at or by phoning 01271 374776. There is also further information about WEEE and battery recycling on our website.

We cannot recycle larger WEEE items (such as cookers, vacuum cleaners, medium and large-sized TVs) at the kerbside. Instead, you can take these to Devon County Council recycling centres (at Killacleave in Ilfracombe, Seven Brethren in Barnstaple and Maclins in South Molton).

If you prefer, you can arrange for a bulky waste collection, where North Devon Council can collect your larger items from the kerbside. There is a charge for this service. Again, further information about bulky waste is on the council’s website.

Be the first to Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are held for moderation. House rules

Posted in: Environment