‘All the fun of the fair’ opens at Barnstaple museum
Posted on: 15 July 2016
A fun-filled and nostalgic celebration of Barnstaple’s great fair opens next week.
A series of events celebrating the customs and cultural importance of Barnstaple’s fair kicks off with a dazzling exhibition at the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon, which opens on Saturday 23 July.
With historic fairground attractions from Dingles Fairground Museum, including a 1950s bumper car, ‘All the fun of the fair’ will delight young and old alike. The exhibition, which is presented in partnership with Barnstaple Fair Heritage Society, offers a glimpse into the past with an early film of Barnstaple fair and recordings of local people recalling their memories of the fair and carnival.
Earlier this year, Barnstaple Fair Heritage Society received funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and other supporters to host a series of events to celebrate 50 years of Barnstaple Fair. As well as the museum exhibition, which runs until 24 September, look out for:
- children’s art and crafts sessions at the museum on Wednesdays throughout the school summer holiday
- a performance by local schools and North Devon Sinfonia at the Queens Theatre on 12 September
- vintage steam locomotive road run through Barnstaple town on 13 September
- a model fairground show at the museum from 12-17 September
- vintage fair on the Square from 13-17 September
- carnival queen reunion and book launch event at the museum on 15 September
Executive member responsible for leisure and culture, Councillor Dick Jones, says: “I can’t wait to see this exhibition and the packed programme of events throughout September looks fantastic. The fair is such a important event in the town’s annual social calendar and these events recognise its place in Barnstaple’s history. The exhibition is a must-see.”Leisure