Further consultation for the Local Plan for Northern Devon

Area of the Local PlanArea of the Local Plan

Posted on: 3 February 2016

The green light has been given for further public consultation on the North Devon and Torridge Local Plan, which when adopted will shape the future of northern Devon.

During yesterday’s (2 February) meeting of North Devon Council’s Executive and a meeting last week (25 January) of Torridge District Council’s Community and Resources Committee, Councillors agreed that further necessary consultation on the document will take place.

Having considered comments to the last consultations at the end of 2015, the further consultation will be carried out on the following areas:

  • a policy for starter homes on exception sites such as underused and unviable employment land
  • the preferred policy for wind energy development

Lead Member for the Local Plan at North Devon Council, Councillor Jeremy Yabsley, says: ” The consultation is being carried out to comply with the latest government policy and procedures to enable local communities to have their say on what the plan contains.

“We have nearly finished the plan ready for submission and I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to our previous consultations. However, please do continue to take part in the latest consultation and let us know your thoughts.”

Lead Member for Planning at Torridge District Council, Councillor Peter Watson, says: “Although these are the final stages they are just as important as everything that has gone before. Wind energy development has been an important consideration for residents, developers and planners in recent times and one that hasn’t been without controversy. Along with a consideration of starter homes, these are important elements of the new plan and we hope people will review the proposals and provide feedback to help shape the final document.”

At the meetings it was also agreed the plan would include all additional proposed main changes to the policy for affordable homes made following the previous consultation.

The further consultation will start on Thursday 11 February and will last for six weeks. Residents can view the consultation documents and have their say using the councils’ online consultation page. Paper copies can also be viewed at the councils’ offices and at libraries across North Devon and Torridge.

Following this consultation and consideration of comments received, it is hoped the plan will be submitted to the Secretary of State in May for public examination.

Once accepted by the Planning Inspectorate and adopted by the councils, the plan will be used when making decisions on planning applications across both districts.

Keep up to date with the plan’s progress by following the councils on Twitter www.twitter.com/ndevoncouncil and www.twitter.com/torridgedc.

1 comment on “Further consultation for the Local Plan for Northern Devon

  1. Sam Percival says:

    The NPPF came in to force in March 2012 and here we are in North Devon and Torridge still working to the Local Plans based on the now totally obsolete Planning Policy Statements and Guidance dating from the 1990’s. There will be a new government and new national planning guidance implemented before the District Councils and Councillors manage to implement the new Joint Local Plan. It is utterly ridiculous it has taken so long for the new local plan to be agreed.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are held for moderation. House rules

Posted in: Planning