Engaging Devon – Strategy
7. How will we achieve this?
- We will bring together engagement activities across the Council to oversee, plan, and improve quality. We will produce a calendar or programme of engagement activity carried out by, for, or with the Council.
- Our staff involved with engagement will develop know-how and experience to help the Council and those who engage with it to engage effectively.
- We will engage in the most appropriate and cost effective way to enable people to be heard and to give their views.
- We will provide guidance to support staff and our partners with engagement activity.
- The Council will work with organisations and communities to engage on Council decisions, services and performance, and will publicise these activities. To be open and answerable, we will use a You Said, We Did way of working. We will tell people what we have done and what we are going to do in an open and timely way.
- Working with local communities we will seek out information relevant to helping them make the right decisions to meet their needs.
We wish to engage and work more closely with the communities we serve, our partners and other organisations to develop services. Communities will have more influence over decisions and greater involvement, choice and control over the way in which local services are shaped and delivered. We already have many good and innovative examples of engagement and involvement, from informing people and communities right through to co-production of services and partnership working. More public and community involvement should result in services which are more in line with need, helping to reduce costly and disruptive challenges to Council decisions.