Fund title: Landfill Communities Fund
Focus of fund/fund aims:
For community, heritage and environmental projects – an overview of schemes available in Devon
refer to individual websites
The Landfill Communities Fund is a scheme through which Landfill Operators are able to redirect a small proportion (currently 4.2%) of their landfill tax liability to support a wide range of community and environmental projects which are near to licensed landfill sites.
Most LCF funding is used for physical improvements to amenities that are available for leisure and recreation used by the general public (this might be community buildings, sports facilities or heritage projects) or for conservation of wildlife species and natural habitats.
LCF funds can only be distributed to organisations which are enrolled with ENTRUST (the regulator for the scheme) as Environmental Bodies (EBs). This works in two ways:
(1) Several landfill operators have their own grant schemes to distribute funding to local projects: they have a separate trust which is registered as an EB so that it can receive the funds, and the trust then administers a grant scheme for community groups and not-for-profit organisations. (See schemes in Devon listed below)
(2) Community groups can make a direct approach to other landfill operators to see if they would be prepared to provide funding – in this instance the group would need to register as an EB.
There are several requirements and regulations relating to the scheme eg. each grant needs to be made up of 90% landfill tax credits and 10% from the landfill operator’s own funds, or from a 3rd party contributor. Further details are available from Entrust about how the Landfill Communities Fund works or from the individual grant schemes which currently provide funding for projects in Devon:
Biffa-award – offers grants of £10,000 to £75,000 through the Main Grants Scheme. Direct applications can be made under three themes: rebuilding biodiversity; community buildings; and recreation. There is also a cultural facilites theme which is run jointly with the Association of Independent Museums.
Where? Within 5 miles of Depots in Tavistock or Newton Abbot, for Main Grants Community theme and small grants (this is extended to 15 miles for the Main Grants Biodiversity theme – in this instance, parts of Torridge will be within 15 miles of the Bude Depot). Since these Biffa Operations are depots rather than landfill sites, projects will also need to be within 10 miles of a licensed landfill site.
Coastal Recycling Community Fund – grants of between £5,000 and £25,000 for projects that benefit the natural, built or social environment.
Where? Within 10 miles of Coastal Recycling’s landfill site at Deep Moor, High Bullen, near Torrington (EX38 7JA); or its transfer station at Kenbury Wood, Kennford, near Exeter (EX6 7XD)
SUEZ Communities Trust – (formerly SITA Trust) currently provides funding to support improvements to community leisure amenities and historic buildings/structures as well as biodiversity projects eg. nature reserves, orchards. The Primary Fund offers up to £50,000 to not-for-profit organisations wishing to improve facilities that benefit the general public. There is also a Smaller Project Fund with no minimum amount – this offers support of up to £20,000 for vital projects with a shorter delivery timeframe.
Where? There are two Sita Trust funding zones in Devon: an area in Mid Devon, within a 3-mile radius of Colebrooke including western Crediton, Copplestone and Yeoford; and an area to the east of Exeter, within a 3-mile radius of Woodbury Salterton. There is a postcode checker on the Sita Trust website.
Viridor Credits – there are three funding schemes supporting biodiversity, heritage and community projects: small grants (up to £20,000); main grants (£20,000 to £50,000); large grants (£50,000 to £250,000).
Where? Within 10 miles of the landfill site at Broadpath (Uffculme). Applications for small grants can also be made for projects within 10 miles of the Energy Recovery Facility in Exeter (EX2 8QE).
Search the site
- RECRUITING: @dccapprentices looking for a new intake of #apprentices. Well paid + good benefits = Great Opportunity… https://t.co/b6Jq930Vmx 3h ago
- How will #Brexit affect your business? Provide your views in the HotSW Brexit Resilience & Opportunities Survey https://t.co/WXYXF7pADX 8h ago
- #PositivePeople will help bring you into the digital age. Visit our page to find out more: https://t.co/fGV5QwMtya #BigLotteryESF 12h ago
- Book tickets for Delivering Devolution – The Role of New Public Service Delivery Models https://t.co/vffKeSGfx5 1d ago