Early Years Education Funding for 2, 3 and 4-year-olds
- What is Early Years Education Funding?
The government provides funding for all 3 and 4-year-old children and some 2-year-olds to attend early years provision for 570 hours per year.
- Who is eligible?
A 2-year-old can get free early education and childcare if the parent/carer gets one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit
- Tax credits and has an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
A 2-year-old can also get free early education and childcare if any of the following apply
- they’re looked after by a local council
- they have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
- they get Disability Living Allowance
- they’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order
Parents must check their eligibility for the entitlement to Early Years Education Funding for their 2-year-old. Parents will need their National Insurance number, date of birth, name and child’s details. Eligibility can be checked online or by phone: 0345 155 1013.
Parents and carers of children with additional needs, and foster and adoptive parents should discuss applying with the Early Years Education Funding helpdesk on 01392 385530 or email@example.com
Children are eligible to receive the Early Years Education Funding from the start of the term after their 2nd birthday for a maximum of three funding periods.
Parents/carers cannot apply before the start of the funding period in which the child’s second birthday occurs.
3 and 4-year-olds
All 3 and 4-year-olds are eligible for the Early Years Education Funding starting from the term after their third birthday until they start school (usually at statutory school age – the term following their fifth birthday).
When are children eligible?
Child’s birthday between: 2-year-old applications can be made no earlier than: Funding can start from: 1 January and 31 March 1 January Start of term beginning on or following 1 April after the child’s second birthday 1 April and 31 August 1 April Start of term beginning on or following 1 September after the child’s second birthday 1 September and 31 December 1 September Start of term beginning on or following 1 January after the child’s second birthday
For more information please see Date of Birth Eligibility factsheet.
- How much will I get paid for providing the Early Years Education?
Early years providers are funded to provide the free early years education at a rate of £4.88 per hour per eligible 2-year-old and £3.70 per hour per 3- and 4-year-old.
- Can I offer the Early Years Education Funding to parents?
To offer the Early Years Education Funding for 2, 3 and four-year olds a provider must:
- be on either the Early Years Ofsted Register, Schools Ofsted Register or inspected under the Independent Schools Inspectorate
- be open for a minimum of 33 weeks per year, during school term time
- allow their details to be listed on Pinpoint – a directory of service in Devon
The funding is claimed through a secure online database therefore providers should have a business email address and internet access.
Please note that to offer the Early Years Education Funding for 2-year-olds, you should be judged as good or outstanding by Ofsted. New providers who have not been inspected will be funded.
All information on policy, procedure, systems and processes for providing the Early Years Education Funding can be found in the Local Conditions of Funding.
- How do I register?
If you wish to register to become funded to offer the Early Years Education Funding for 2, 3 and 4-year-olds you will need to:
- Request a New Provider Pack from the Early Years Education Funding Helpdesk – phone: 01392 385530 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read all the information sent in the New Provider Pack. This includes:
- The Local Conditions of Funding
- Provider Agreement
- Agree to the Local Conditions of Funding by returning the completed Provider Agreement to email@example.com
If you are already registered to offer the Early Years Education Funding for 3 and 4-year-olds and wish to register to become funded to offer this to eligible 2-year-olds please apply to the Early Years Education Funding Helpdesk – phone: 01392 385530 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What do I need to do?
Each term you will need to:
- Check that children are eligible for the Early Years Education Funding
- Complete a claim through the Provider Portal (secure online database)
- Make amendments for any children that have joined or left during the term
- Inform the helpdesk if there have been any significant changes to number of children attending for funded hours or if you have no funded children.
For more information on the process for claiming the Early Years Education Funding please see:
- Golden Ticket (2 year old funding) – Guidance for Providers (Currently unavailable – this is being revised)
- Process for Providers
- Process for Childminders
Providers must notify the helpdesk immediately if they are unable to meet the conditions of the agreement. This will not necessarily affect the continuation of the service and Devon County Council may be able to offer support to enable it to continue.
- Early Years Pupil Premium
The Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) is additional funding for early years providers to enhance the education they provide for eligible 3 and 4-year-olds.
- Working in partnership with Devon County Council
We ask that all providers that receive funding through Devon County Council’s Early Years and Childcare Service follow this publicity guidance. Thank you for working with us.
- Resource documents
- Local Conditions of Funding
- Child Registration Form template
- Early Years Education Funding Information for Parents
- Provider Portal Training Notes
- Provider Portal Training Notes – 2 year old funding (currently unavailable – being revised)
- Academic Calendar 2016-2017
- Academic Calendar 2015-2016
- Funding calculator
- Maximum hours claimable per funding period
- Supplementary Form
- Conflict Buster – guide for completion
- Conflict Buster Form
- Unresolved Conflicts
- Complaints Procedure
- Appeals Procedure
- Golden Ticket
- Golden Ticket – Polish
- Golden Ticket – Lithuanian
- Frequently asked questions
- Useful links