Early years careers
– Are you a school leaver, graduate or perhaps looking for a career change or returning to work after a break? There are jobs and training available to suit all levels, start your new career today.
Use the dropdown menu below to find information about starting your career, returning to work, qualifications, training and more.
Working in early years and childcare
Download your guide to ‘Working in early years and childcare’; find out how you can make a real difference, the career options, qualifications needed, work-based training and progression available.Download 'Your guide to working in early years and childcare' (232kb)
Please note – on Page 2 of the Working in Early Years and Childcare guide the correct contact is 01392 383000 and ask for Natalie Elston
- Starting out Arranging work experience in a local early years setting will provide you with valuable skills and knowledge. You will find out what it’s like to work in a nursery or pre-school and also find out if it’s the right career choice for you. To make contact with an early years setting near you please visit Pinpoint where you can search for childcare providers in Devon.
If you have not yet undertaken any training towards achieving a full and relevant early years and childcare qualification, you can start working towards gaining some important common core skills and knowledge. The common core describes the skills and knowledge that everyone who works with children and young people is expected to have. The six areas covered are:
- Effective communication and engagement with children, young people and families
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child or young person
- Supporting transitions
- Multi-agency and integrated working
- Information sharing.
More information about the common core package can be found on our training website.
- Training and qualifications It is really important to have the right skills and knowledge to do your job properly. Different qualifications are needed to perform certain roles in early years and childcare. Some qualifications are essential for the job role; they are needed to comply with Ofsted and EYFS regulations and standards. Work-based training is also important if you want to further your skills and progress to a higher level.
There is a range of qualifications and short courses suitable for every stage of your career to support your continued professional development. For a full list of training opportunities visit the early years training website. Funding is subject to availability and eligibility, please refer to the eligibility criteria for full details.
Further training information can be found on our training pages.
- Looking for jobs All the latest job vacancies in early years and childcare and wider roles can be found on the Devon Jobs website.
You will find a wide range of careers from Assistant to Supervisor posts, full-time, part-time and term time vacancies. You can sign up to receive email alerts so that you are notified as soon as a job comes up that matches your search criteria.
Universal Jobmatch has replaced the Jobcentre Plus job search tool. Jobseekers can match their CV and skills to jobs posted by companies. Find a job with Universal Jobmatch
- Completing Job Applications
If you are considering a career in early years and childcare and would like some support completing job application forms, take a look at our Guidance for Completing Job Applications.
The National Careers Service also provide job seekers with free support, including practical support such as writing applications.
- Do you live in Torbay or Plymouth?
If you choose to work within the Torbay or Plymouth areas you will need to visit your local Family Information Service for information and advice about working in early years as these are run by separate local authorities and do not fall under the remit of Devon County Council’s support and funding arrangements.
- Contact us
We hope that this information provides answers to some of the questions you may have about working in early years, however, if you have further questions about what steps to take, please get in touch.
Early Years and Childcare Service
R170, County Hall
Phone: 01392 383000 and ask for Natalie Elston (Mon 9-5, Wed 9 -12.30 and Thurs 9-5).
- Further information