Becoming a childminder
- How do I become a registered childminder in Devon? You will need to register with Ofsted or a childminder agency before you can look after children under the age of eight years. To be a childminder you need to be at least 18. As part of the registration process you would need to:
- attend suitable childminding training that will allow you to demonstate your ability to deliver the requirements of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- attend a safeguarding awareness course
- attend paediatric first aid training.
The Devon Early Years and Childcare service provides free pre registration support and advice. To access support contact the Early Years team at: email@example.com
The registration process can take up to twelve weeks from when you submit an application form to Ofsted.
Preparing to be a childminder course
We offer a ‘Preparing to be a childminder course’ which covers all the training requirements to prepare you for Ofsted registration. The full 5 day course costs £195. A discounted fee of £130 is available for those who already hold a valid paediatric first aid certificate.
You may be entitled to up to £500 to help with start-up costs through The Childcare Business Grants Scheme.
Summer 2018– Wednesday 4th,11th,18th, 25th July and Wednesday 1st August 2018. (North Devon)
Autumn 2018– Tuesday 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th October and 6th November
To view the course description or book a place on the course visit the early years and childcare training website.
- Registering with Ofsted
- Early Years Register: covering children from birth up to the 31st August following their fifth birthday
- Childcare Register:
- compulsory part – covering children from the end of the early years stage until they reach the age of eight
- voluntary part – covering children over eight years of age.
Please see the Quick Guide to registering as a childminder
Please follow the Ofsted online application process: registering to become a childminder.
If you have any queries please contact the Early Years team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training materials