Becoming a childminder
- How do I become a registered childminder in Devon? You will need to register with Ofsted or a childminder agency before you can look after children under the age of eight years. To be a childminder you need to be at least 18. As part of the registration process you would need to:
- attend suitable childminding training that will allow you to demonstate your ability to deliver the requirements of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- attend a safeguarding awareness course
- attend paediatric first aid training.
The Devon Early Years and Childcare service provides free pre registration support and advice. To access support contact Margaret Dean at: email@example.com.
The registration process can take up to twelve weeks from when you submit an application form to Ofsted.
Preparing to be a childminder course
We offer a ‘Preparing to be a childminder course’ which covers all the training requirements to prepare you for Ofsted registration.
The next course will run on the following dates: Monday 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th February and 6th March 2017 and costs £195 per participant.
To view the course description or book onto either course visit the early years and childcare training website.
- Registering with Ofsted
- Early Years Register: covering children from birth up to the 31st August following their fifth birthday
- Childcare Register:
- compulsory part – covering children from the end of the early years stage until they reach the age of eight
- voluntary part – covering children over eight years of age.
Please follow the Ofsted online application process: registering to become a childminder.
If you have any queries please contact:
Phone: 01392 383000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Childminder preparation programme- participants only