Paying for childcare

Returning to work

If you are looking for work and are a customer of Jobcentre Plus, you may be able to get help to pay initial childcare costs to enable you to attend interviews, through a discretionary Jobcentre Plus fund called the Flexible Support Fund. Visit to find out more.

Help with training and learning

Care to Learn supports teenage parents beginning or continuing their studies. Funding can pay up to £160 per child per week to cover registered childcare and associated travel costs. For more information call 0800 121 8989 or visit

If you are aged 19 or over and attend a further education college, the Discretionary Learner Support Fund may be able to help with a variety of costs, including childcare. The funding amount available will vary as colleges manage their own procedures and criteria for administration of the fund. Apply at your college by speaking to the student support or welfare officer.  For more information visit

Anyone over age 18 can apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan. This money can be used to pay for childcare but must be repaid. For more information visit

« Previous PageWorking parents
Next Page »Higher Education

This page was last modified: 31st May 2017