Tax credits

Help with the cost of childcare

If you work and use childcare you could get extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs.

The childcare must be registered or provided by a school; such as a breakfast or after school club.

If you’re a lone parent you must work for at least 16 hours a week to qualify. If you’re part of a couple you and your partner must both work at least 16 hours. Only one of you has to work 16 hours or more if the other is:

  • ill or disabled and claiming disability benefits
  • in hospital
  • in prison
  • entitled to Carer’s Allowance.

You may still qualify if you worked 16 hours or more before going on maternity, paternity, adoption or sick leave.

Costs are paid up to the week of 1 September following the child’s 15th birthday, or 16th birthday if the child has a disability.

You can get help with up to 70% of your childcare costs depending on your income. However this is subject to a maximum cost of childcare for:

  • one child of £175 a week
  • two or more children of £300 a week.
« Previous PageChild Tax Credit
Next Page »Making a claim

This page was last modified: 5th May 2015