Paying for childcare: Special educational needs and disabilities

Children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) should be part of their local community and be included and educated alongside their peers. You can find out about the range of support and opportunities in the Devon SEND Local Offer at

What is registered childcare? the care of children, while parents are working, that has been put on a register and inspected.

Who provides registered childcare? This may be any of the following: childminder; nursery; extended school; pre-school/playgroup; out of school or holiday club; home carers who have opted to join the Voluntary part of the Ofsted Childcare Register.

All childcare providers must make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to include children with special educational needs and disabilities.

Providers are allowed to charge extra if they need to employ extra staff or limit their provision to fewer children, but are only allowed to charge for the extra costs incurred. See for more information.

Further information

Next Page »Funding for childcare