Paying for childcare

If you are working or training and have children, there may be times when you need to pay for childcare. There are several different places where you can get help to pay for your childcare, depending on your circumstances.

The first thing is to find a suitable place for your child. Devon's Family Information Service has free and independent information on childcare including:

  • childminders
  • pre-schools
  • nurseries
  • out of school clubs
  • holiday schemes.

Contact the Family Information Service on 0345 155 1013 or visit to find out more.

The childcare setting has to be registered with Ofsted (unless exempt from registration) to be eligible for help with childcare costs.

Parents of toddlers

Parents of two year old children may be entitled to 15 hours of free early learning and childcare. For more information about whether you qualify and how to apply, call 0345 155 1013 or visit

Parents of all three and four year old children can claim the Early Years Entitlement. From September 2017, some children of working parents may be eligible for an extended entitlement. For more information on Early Years Entitlement call 0345 155 1013 or visit

The cost of these hours is paid directly to the childcare provider.

Next Page »Working parents