Domestic Violence and Abuse


If personal or family relationships have broken down, you may need to find somewhere new to live. Your local housing department will be able to advise you on the options available to you.

If you want to leave your home…

If you decide your safest option is to leave home due to domestic violence and abuse you may have the right to temporary accommodation from the housing authority. This can either be provided within your local area or elsewhere in the country. The housing authority may have a duty to find you safe alternative accommodation on the day you make a claim for help. They will then assess your claim and may provide the further accommodation services you require to remain safe.

If you want to stay in your home…

There is also a county-wide Sanctuary Scheme which provides security improvement measures to make the home safer and more secure for those wishing to remain in their own home.

For more information about Sanctuary schemes in Devon see the Sanctuary Scheme Protocol (last updated January 2014)

Who to contact:

If you need housing support, please follow the links below to find information from the local housing authority in your area:

East Devon District Housing
Tel: 01395 517469

Exeter City Council Housing
Tel: 01392 265726

Mid Devon District Council
Tel: 01884 255255

North Devon District Housing
Tel: 01271 388870

South Hams District Housing
Tel: 01803 861234

Teignbridge District Housing
Tel: 01626 361101

Torridge District Housing
Tel: 01237 428849

West Devon Borough Housing
Tel: 01822 813600

Plymouth City Council Housing
Tel: 01752 305950

Torbay Borough Council
Tel: 01803 208723

Registered housing providers in Devon have signed up to a domestic abuse code of good practice (Domestic abuse code of good practice 2014)