How does The Devon Card work?
Posted on 5 July 2013
The card is a ‘pre-loaded’ VISA card that is similar to a bank debit card. However, it does not offer credit or an overdraft.Money must be loaded onto the card before you can spend it, and you can only spend what has been loaded onto the card.
An eligible service user (or a person acting on their behalf) will be issued with a card in their name. We will load direct payments onto the card every four weeks in the same way that payments are currently made into the bank accounts of existing direct payments users.
If you have a Devon Card you will be able to take advantage of the online banking and telephone banking facilities associated with it. These provide you with further ways of managing your direct payments.
You can pay providers for services in a number of ways which include:
- CHIP and PIN face-to-face payments
- CHIP, PIN and CV2 (3-digit security number on reverse) payments online,
- by telephone or mail order
- Standing order via online banking or telephone banking
- Bank transfer (BACS) payments via online banking or telephone banking.
It is not possible to spend more money than is loaded onto the card.
We will be able to view payments made using The Devon Card on the internet so card users do not need to provide financial returns.