Guide: Making a Complaint about a Devon County Councillor

Part 1

How do I make a complaint?

If you want to make a complaint about the conduct of a County Councillor or if you think that he or she may have breached the Code of Conduct for Members you may complain to the County Council’s Standards Committee

The Code of Conduct for Members is set out in the County Council’s Constitution.

Any complaints about the conduct of County Councillors should normally be submitted, in writing,  to:

Jan Shadbolt (County Solicitor)
Devon County Council
County Hall
Topsham Road

who will arrange for it to be considered by the Council’s Standards Committee or for any other course of action to be taken, as appropriate. You may use the official Complaint Form referred to below or simply set out your complaint in a letter.  Complaints may be sent in by post to the above address,  by fax (01392 382348) or by email (  If you are unable to download a copy of the form from the Council’s website a copy may be sent to you upon request. We can also help if English is not your first language.

If you are unable to make a written complaint we will offer to transpose your complaint onto a complaint form with an accompanying written statement (if required) which you will then be asked to sign or otherwise indicate to the Council’s satisfaction that you wish to make a complaint in those terms.  If you are unwilling to sign the documentation or otherwise indicate to the Council’s satisfaction that you wish to make a complaint in those terms it will not take any further action on the complaint unless the Monitoring Officer is satisfied that the circumstances justify a departure from this position.  If you make a verbal complaint and simply decline to confirm the complaint in writing for reasons which the Council does not consider to be justifiable it will take no further action on the complaint.

Anonymous complaints will be rejected unless the complainant requests confidentiality as set out below.

Some complaints will fall outside of the scope of this Procedure.  If that happens the complaints will be forwarded to the relevant officers in the Council the complainant will be advised of this. Similarly if  your complaint is about a District, Unitary or Town or Parish Councillor then you should send it to the relevant District or Unitary Council  – in other words, the Council that collects your council tax.