Buying a bike
Buying a bike for your child
Getting the right bike for your child is crucial to make sure they have the most fun possible
Follow our golden rules:
- Visit your local cycle shop where staff will be able to give you the best advice.
- Watch out for bikes that are comparitively cheap as they are often made of cheap and heavy materials. Try to spend a little more or buy a second hand bike.
- Buy a bike that fits your child now. It’s not practical or safe to give your child a bike which they will grow into.
- Try the brakes using your little finger – that’s equivalent to your child’s grip strength.
- Involve your child in the process. They will love helping and learning how the bike works.
- Buy a bike that your child will love. If they don’t like it they may not ride it!
For further information, take a look at Sustrans guide to buying the right bike and kit.