• Why should we get involved in community self-help?

    Devon County Council has a legal responsibility to keep the highway safe for the user but does not have a legal responsibility to keep areas clean and tidy. Many people take pride in their communities and, especially in Devon, rely on tourism to boost the local economy. In order to assist communities with keeping public… Read more >

  • What insurance do I need to be a volunteer?

    We advise that public liability insurance is in place prior to any works starting. This may already be provided by those organising the works but should be confirmed. We also advise that personal protection insurance be in place. Again, this may be provided by those organising the works but should be confirmed. Devon County Council… Read more >

  • What training needs to be done?

    We would advise that those involved in organising the works should undertake a Highway Safety Awareness course or equivalent. If road closures are being set up, for community events, then those setting up the traffic management should have undertaken the Traffic Management for Community Events course or equivalent. If sub-contractors are employed to carry out… Read more >

  • Can I apply for a Highway Maintenance Community Enhancement fund?

    Yes you can. Please note that those signed up to the Road Warden Scheme will get priority application status. Devon Highways has made a sum of money available in grants to towns, parishes and community groups in Devon.  The fund has been created following the implementation of the Road Warden and Community Self Help schemes.… Read more >

  • When can work start?

    All work must be discussed and agreed with the highway neighbourhood officer in the first instance. As soon as this has been done, the training undertaken, agreement signed and risk assessment completed, the work can commence. Read more >