What training needs to be done?

Posted on: 20 December 2016

As a minimum we would expect those coordinating the works (the Road Warden) to have undertaken the Highway Safety Awareness e-learning module or agreed equivalent.  The Highway Safety Awareness course is provided by DCC and is free of charge.

As a guideline, if work is carried out on the live carriageway (open to traffic) then those carrying out the works must have undertaken their SWQR Unit 2 Signing, Lighting and Guarding qualification (or equivalent) at a ratio of 1:2 (one qualified worker to 2 unqualified). This is a two day course. DCC will provide free training for 3 representatives per organisation. Special consideration will be given to requests that exceed the limit. Training requirements, of those involved in works, can be discussed with the local Highway Neighbourhood Officer.

If road closures are being set up, for community events, then those setting up the traffic management should have undertaken the Traffic Management for Community Events course or equivalent.

DCC run a number of the SWQR Unit 2 courses throughout the year which can be attended by those wishing to carry out highway enhancement works and DCC will cover the cost. If the days and times of our prearranged training is not convenient alternative providers/locations can be investigated and the training can be applied for via the Highway Maintenance Community Enhancement Fund.

Requests for access or attendance to any of the above training should be sent via the necessary Parish or Town Council or community organisation to hwaymain@devon.gov.uk.

Bookmark the permalink.