What insurance cover does DCC provide?

Posted on: 20 December 2016

In the unlikely event of a claim, DCC will cover the public liability aspect of insurance for voluntary work on the public highway or footway, providing it is undertaken in a safe manner according to DCC advice. This, for example, would cover any claims by third party as a result of works, which the county council would defend if works were done in accordance with DCC advice.

DCC will not provide any other form of insurance cover for this activity which must be undertaken at the volunteers own risk. So, for example, any damage to one’s own person, property or vehicle would not be covered. If vehicles are to be used (for example farmers) then they must ensure that the vehicle is suitably insured for any activity undertaken – if in doubt, owners should check with the vehicle’s insurer.

If a local council decide to employ a contractor to undertake any works for them then the County Council’s public liability insurance will not apply – it only applies to volunteers under this scheme.

Bookmark the permalink.

Be the first to Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are held for moderation. House rules

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.