What is Devon’s statutory duty regarding Children’s Centre Services?
Statutory guidance (Childcare Act 2006) states that the local authority (Devon County Council) has a duty to;
- Improve the well-being of young children in the area and to reduce inequalities
- Secure sufficient provision of children’s centres to meet local need, so far as is reasonably practicable
- Make arrangements to provide, in an integrated manner, early childhood services and work with ‘relevant partners’ (health services and Jobcentre Plus) and consider providing services such as health and employment support through a children’s centre
- Reduce inequalities between young children, and to take steps to identify parents or prospective parents who are unlikely to take advantage of early childhood services that may be of benefit, and to encourage them to take advantage of these services
- Take all reasonable steps to encourage and facilitate the involvement of a range of persons including in particular early years providers in their area (including those in the private and voluntary sectors), in the arrangements made for providing integrated early childhood services.