Are you a carer?

Support for carers

In England, millions of people provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in their own home or somewhere else.

‘Caring’ for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious.

If this sounds like you, from April 2015, changes to the way care and support is provided in England mean you may be able to get more help so that you can carry on caring and look after your own wellbeing.

Support for informal carers

You may be eligible for support, taken as a personal budget to spend on the things that make caring easier, or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. Or you may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

The council covering the area where the person you care for lives can help you find the right support and may suggest that you have a carer’s assessment.

A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways that caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment. As a result of the assessment, you may be eligible for support from the council, who will also offer you advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities.

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council, and they will not need to be assessed.