What to do next
If someone tells you they’re feeling suicidal:
- make sure they’re not left alone
- remove anything they could use to take their own life
- get medical help immediately.
Getting medical help:
- phone your GP surgery – outside normal surgery hours, you’ll be directed to an out-of-hours service
- call 999 or take them to A&E and stay with them until they are seen by a member of the mental health team.
Even if it’s only a hunch, share your concerns with others:
- don’t be afraid to involve their family, friends or colleagues
- share this leaflet with others and plan together how you are going to keep the person safe.
Take care of yourself:
- talk to your GP about your feelings
- confide in a trusted friend
- find a support group for carers of people with mental health problems.