Falls are very common, but most are preventable.
NHS Choices has information about simple steps to prevent falls and exercises you can do at home to help reduce the risk of falls at www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Falls/Pages/Prevention.aspx
Age UK also has detailed falls prevention advice at www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellbeing/keeping-fit/falls-prevention/exercise-regularly
There are a huge range of personal and home alarms available which may be useful if you have fallen in the past, or are worried about the possibility of falling, and want to know that you can contact help if needed.
Contact the Independent Living Centre on 01392 380181 to book an appointment to talk about the types of alarms available and the best solution to meet your needs.
Gas and fire safety
- If you smell gas, or your carbon monoxide detector is alerting you, immediately phone the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.
- Get a carbon monoxide detector which will change colour, flash or sound an alarm if it detects carbon monoxide. You should have one in every room that has a gas appliance.
- If you have a gas boiler, the pilot light should be alight all the time. If it has gone out and you can’t relight it yourself call out a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Have your gas appliances safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has information on staying fire safe at home. They have produced a self-assessment booklet you can use to check that your home is safe, and an easy read fire safety booklet.
Most burglaries are crimes of opportunity and can be prevented by keeping your home secure.
- Age UK has clear information on simple ways to make sure your doors and windows are secured.
- Devon and Cornwall Police has detailed information on reducing the risks to your home and possessions and improving your security.
- If you are worried about doorstep sellers and rogue traders you can get useful information and contact details from the Police website.
- Devon Trading Standards has information about current scams operating in Devon and what to do if you think someone has, or is trying to, scam you.