Getting out and about
Blue Badge Parking Permits
The Blue Badge Scheme allows severely disabled people to park close to their destination. The Blue Badge holder can be the driver or a passenger.
- The Blue Badge scheme only applies to on-street parking.
- Badge holders have free use of parking meters and pay-and-display bays.
- Badge holders may also be exempt from limits on parking times – check local signs for information.
- Badge holders can park for up to three hours on yellow lines, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading or other restrictions.
The Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England from the Department of Transport has detailed information about the Blue Badge scheme, how it works in England, and users’ rights and responsibilities.
Who can get a Blue Badge?
The leaflet Can I Get a Blue Badge? explains who may qualify for a Blue Badge.
Organisations which care for and transport people with disabilities may be eligible for a Blue Badge. To find out if your organisation is eligible phone The Blue Badge Hotline on 0345 155 1006 or email email@example.com.
A parent of a child under two years old can apply for a Blue Badge if the child has a specific medical condition which means that they:
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which can’t be carried around easily
- need to be kept near a vehicle at all times so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven somewhere such as a hospital.
Applying for a Blue Badge
You can apply online at GOV.UK or by phoning The Blue Badge Hotline on 0345 155 1006.
If you are a Blue Badge holder and there is no off-street parking available at or near your property, you may be able to apply for a disabled parking bay.
Renewing your Blue Badge
Your badge lasts for three years and a renewal notice will be issued automatically at least six weeks before it expires.
If you move during that time please phone The Blue Badge Hotline on 0345 155 1006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your new address. If you move to a different county your Blue Badge will still be valid but you will have to reapply to your new local authority when it expires.
Get more information about: