Freedom of Information Act 2000
Date of Request: 23/04/2015
Date of Disclosure: 13/05/2015
Please find Devon County Council’s response to each of the questions below;
Number of noise complaints
- How many noise complaints did you receive in 2009 and 2014? Please also provide figures for the first quarter of 2015.
Please give an overall number as well as a categorised break-down on where the noise originated. The categories should be whichever way you store the data.
I would like this information for the calendar years 2009 and 2014 and the first quarter of 2015 as stated in the questions.
Cost of noise complaints
- Please provide an estimated cost for an initial assessment of a noise complaint in 2009 and in 2014. Please also provide a figure for the first quarter of 2015.
- Please provide an estimate for the total cost to the council in relation to noise complaints in 2009 and 2014. Please also provide a figure for the first quarter of 2015. This should include all aspects from initial consultation to any action required and administration costs.
Noise complaint action
- How many noise complaints, not related to noise from residential properties, were referred to the police in 2009 and 2014? Please also provide a figure for the first quarter of 2015.
If you are unable to break it down in this way, please state this in your answer and provide an overall number of complaints referred to the police in 2009, 2014 and the first quarter of 2015.
- How many noise complaints had further action taken in 2009 and 2014? Please also provide figures for the first quarter of 2015.
Further action should include anything other beyond an initial consultation.
- How many noise abatement orders were issued in 2009 and 2014? Please also provide figures for the first quarter of 2015.
Please exclude any noise abatement orders issued to residential properties.
A) Please note that Devon County Council is not responsible for monitoring noise complaints. These matters are the responsibility of Environmental Health departments within District and Unitary Councils. Therefore the Council does not hold the information you have requested.
Should you wish to obtain this information you are advised to contact each of these authorities directly for this information.
In the interest of providing you advice and assistance, please find details for each of the district councils in Devon on our website at;
Details for the unitary councils of Plymouth City and Torbay Borough Council are available below