SEND Local Area Inspection
The local area inspection took place from Monday 10th December – Friday 14th December.
Thank you to all parents for your input. We really appreciate the time taken to provide your views and experiences. The inspection team acknowledges receipt of all the emails and webinar feedback. In addition to the feedback through the webinar and emails, inspectors have been meeting with groups of parents, children and young people throughout the inspection to seek their views. The lead inspector has ensured all comments and feedback have been read and have been taken into account to inform the inspection in Devon.
Following the implementation of the SEND Reforms outlined in the SEND Code of Practice, the government has asked Ofsted and the CQC to find out how well the new law is working and to say what more needs to be done in local areas. Ofsted and CQC inspectors will visit local areas to do this and will look at how good the local area is at:
- identifying children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities
- assessing and meeting the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities
- improving outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities
Inspectors reviewed the support provided by the local area to better understand how well it meets its responsibilities for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). The inspection team included the lead HMI, Care Quality Commission (CQC) Inspector and an Ofsted Inspector.
During the inspection week:
A series of focus groups meetings took place with commissioners, providers and leaders
A focus group specifically for parent carers will took place on the Tuesday
Site visits took place on Wednesday and Thursday
Feedback will be provided on Friday afternoon
- Find out more about the SEND Local Area Inspections
- FAQs for Devon
- Letter to all parent carers – 5 December 2018
- Easy read information – SEND Local Area Inspection
Page updated 14/12/2018 Subscribe for update bulletins