Supported accommodation, sheltered housing and housing associations

Supported accommodation

For people with disabilities or mental health problems, schemes have been developed offering a range of support and accommodation. This can included group housing or paid carers either living in the property or calling to offer practical help with things like cleaning or finances.

If you think that you, a relative or someone you care for might need help in this way contact Care Direct on 0345 1551 007 or email to speak to us about having a social care needs assessment.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing may suit you if you are an older person wanting to live independently, but with security and the opportunity to socialise and get involved with leisure activities when you choose.

In Devon, the district councils are responsible for sheltered housing schemes.

The accommodation is generally self-contained flats or bungalows. There is usually a call system in case you get into difficulties and a warden who calls, or sometimes lives on the premises.

Some properties can be purchased so you still own your own property but have the additional reassurance of support and company.

If you want to find out more about sheltered housing in your area, contact your local district council.

Housing associations

Housing associations offer non-profit making social housing. They can be large national providers or small local providers of accommodation. Some develop schemes specifically for certain groups of people, such as those with a learning disability or older people.

If you want to find out more about housing association schemes in your area, contact your local district council.

I want more information about:

Residential homes
Nursing homes
District council housing contacts

  • Search for services on the Devon Community Directory
    Find support, groups and activities in your area