Adapting your home

If you think that you or someone you care for may need adaptations to help make living at home easier contact Care Direct on 0845 1551 007 or email to speak to us about having a social care needs assessment.

What help we can give

  • Minor adaptations – these include ramps, rails and other small works that may be recommended following your assessment. If you are eligible, minor adaptations can be arranged for you free of charge.
  • Major adaptations – these could include a stair lift, wide doorway, adapting bathrooms or kitchens. The work may be funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) administered through your local district council, or provided on the recommendation of an occupational therapist (OT).

Find more details in the Disabled Facilities Grant leaflet, which is also available from your district council.


Devon Care & Repair

Devon Care & Repair is funded to help you arrange a major adaptation if you need it. They can provide technical services such as drawing plans and work with DCC and district councils to make sure that work progresses smoothly. They keep lists of reliable contractors who can provide a quality service, and will ensure that work is completed to a satisfactory standard.

Devon Care & Repair also provides a handyperson service, which can help you with small repairs, maintenance and minor adaptations – a charge is made for this service.

For more information see Devon Care & Repair or contact Care Direct on 0845 1551 007 or email


Safe at Home Scheme

The Safe at Home scheme provides a free handyperson service to undertake a Home Safety Assessment to:

  • identify hazards which may put people at risk of accidents and injuries
  • identify issues at home which may contribute to a loss of wellbeing and health.

They will then complete up to two hours work to make the home safer and will signpost to other agencies which can help. The assessment must be completed before the work can be done and all work and materials are provided free of charge.

The scheme is for:

  • people who are vulnerable because of age, disability or financial circumstances – including people who have been victims of crime
  • carers who are living with and supporting a family member.

The handyperson can do a range of tasks such as:

  • fitting window locks and door chains
  • providing and maintaining smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
  • fixing grab rails
  • providing key safes
  • securing loose floor coverings
  • fitting stairgates, cooker and fire guards
  • fitting child safety locks to cupboards and windows.

You can contact the scheme by phoning 01271 340326 or emailing


Vat exemption

If you are registered as disabled, you will be exempt from paying VAT on works done to adapt your home or equipment purchased specifically to meet your disability needs. More information is available from HM Revenue & Customs or phone 0845 010 9000.

  • Search for services on the Devon Community Directory
    Find support, groups and activities in your area