Help after leaving hospital

Often people need to contact social care services for the first time after an accident or illness.

If you, a relative or someone you care for is due to leave hospital soon and may now need support to live safely at home you can contact us about having a social care needs assessment. Phone Care Direct on 0845 1551 007, email or speak to the hospital ward staff about a social care referral.

If you are entitled to help, an adviser will discuss this with you and talk to you about any costs you may have to pay towards services. The adviser will check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to, but we also recommend that you speak to your district council and your local Citizens Advice Bureau if your needs have changed.

You may be given a prescription for any small simple items like raised toilet seats or walking frames, which you can exchange for equipment at an accredited retailer – see our Community Equipment Prescriptions factsheet. Large items such as hoists or special mattresses will be loaned free of charge.

If you are not eligible for social care support there are still services and products which can help you. Phone Care Direct on 0845 1551 007 or visit the Devon Community Directory.

I want more information about:

Equipment to help you
Electronic equipment to help you
Short-term support to stay independent
Long-term health support
Managing someone else’s affairs

  • Search for services on the Devon Community Directory
    Find support, groups and activities in your area